1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think you will be at your paper this time next year?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Nov 13, 2008.

?

Do you think you will be at your paper this time next year?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Maybe

16 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. I don't know and it makes my stomach hurt thinking about it

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. I'm looking to leave on my own

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  6. Yes, but my job will be different

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I don't even feel good about answering this question. In this business, you're one big mistake from being done for, and that's not even considering the state of the industry. I'm trying not to jinx it.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Newspapers are in a little more turmoil, but it's not by much. At least 4 of the 5 TV stations in my market have had layoffs. The number one station is owned by Gannett, so even though they've been very successful they've still had their payroll slashed.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am safe, for now.
    Paper has not done layoffs and would probably do a few round of buyouts, if anything. If that's the case, I haven't been here long enough to go for it.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

The environment around me is far from stable, but I think my pass will still work this time next year. That's not going to stop me from pursuing an opportunity that fits Mrs. Editude and me in the meantime.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how old are you, sparky?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ditto.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but how much more free work will you be doing a year from now, shots?

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I voted that my tummy hurts. We've avoided layoffs so far, mostly because we've filled few of the jobs that have opened here over the past 7-8 years. But for reasons I won't disclose, there is a lot of uncertainty at our place for very valid reasons. I'm no spring chicken and am nearing the end of the line as it is, but this is a hell of an agonizing way to play it out after all these years.

9. dsg155

dsg155 Member

Things are going well enough that I think I could be here in year, but I want out quicker than that.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My head AND my tummy hurt.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm pretty sre i'd be one of the last guys standing at my shop ... but at what cost to my personal life.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If my eight hours are more work-filled in 12 months than they are now, that's OK. No real problem with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted