1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think you will be at your paper this time next year?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Nov 13, 2008.

?

Do you think you will be at your paper this time next year?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Maybe

16 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. I don't know and it makes my stomach hurt thinking about it

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. I'm looking to leave on my own

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  6. Yes, but my job will be different

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not ready to work for an oil company, plus I expect they will be having layoffs of their own soon.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

because oil isn't profitable?

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

It does make my stomach hurt thinking about it ... that's the perfect response for me. While I love the work I do, the added stress of looming layoffs and the "do more with less" aspect is draining. I hope I'm still here, but if the economy turns around enough that companies start hiring again, I'll definitely start weighing my options.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am having trouble finding another job.

Maybe if I can get the boss to change my title to Executive Communications Process Manager or something that sounds importanish, I would have better luck.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't know if i want to live in a world where the plain-dealer dream is dead.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have good job security where I am but when I came in for my job, my boss essentially told me I would probably only be here a year before some offers started coming in from better papers with a little better pay and benefits. I like what I'm doing here and I get along well with my boss but there are some things about the paper that I'm working for that make me a little nervous.

I don't think I'm going to be bought out/laid off/fired/whatever in the next year, so if I left, it would be of my volition.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I voted "Yes".

I like position and don't see myself leaving my paper on my own in the next year. I can only hope that my paper won't lay me off or fire me.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sensing that -- if lucky, in the best-case scenario -- I could still have the same job next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that ... is what convinced me it was time to start looking to get out.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not dead. I am just conserving fancy resume paper until the economy improves next year.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i can't believe more people here don't share your attitude, joe.

11. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'm right with you guys, but with my shop having more than one wave of layoffs already, I'm not confident enough to vote Yes. I hope I am here, but we're getting to bare bones, and my number just might come up next time, since things only appear to be getting worse.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I voted maybe.

Changes are coming down the pipe in the next few weeks. I have no idea if I'll be around after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted