1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think the health care bill will pass?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 17, 2010.

?

Do you think the health care bill will pass

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have company health insurance for a family of three, for which my share is two grand a year, but I have an impoverished old friend whose public insurance costs very little. I don't know about the insurance card, because I haven't been in a hospital since the law passed (knock on wood). Of course, I can't see my doctor without my card, but that was true before the law, too.

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

It is going to pass. Too much invested at this point, and I think everyone on any conceivable side of this issue feels a lot like Mizzou now.

The hyperbole around this thing, however, is truly something to behold.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Sorry, Mizzou, but those of us who can't afford health insurance beg to differ with your assessment of the alleged lack of need for health care reform.

4. Michael_ Gee

Ragu, leaving aside the merits of the bill (or, if I understand your point, any large-scale legislation of any kind), the Democrats PROMISED to do this to win votes. They campaigned on it. So many voters expect them to do it. If they don't, those voters, almost all Democrats, will stay home. If the only purpose of running for office is to keep holding office, why the hell should I vote for you? Because you're a swell guy/gal? Yeah, right.
    At some point, the majority, any majority, runs out of excuses. If it can't pass its proposals into law, it should become the minority. The Republicans became the minority in 06 and 08 because voters decided the Republican proposals, many of which DID happen, weren't working. That's a risk the majority party has to take.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

was there this much hand wringing when Johnson pushed through Medicare in the 60s? Don't know, I wasn't there. And if that were today, would Medicare have not gotten passed?

6. Michael_ Gee

Brooklyn, although a mere teenager in the '60s, I do remember that Medicare, while considered a pretty big deal, was not a burning issue for the nation. Between civil rights and Vietnam, people didn't have much passion left over for other things.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And Medicare had bipartisan support. Unlike the abortion that is about to become law.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

What do you mean? I thought health care reform died when Scott Brown was elected in a special election in Mass.?

Hhahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahhaahahahaha

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are you prepared to pay $8000 - $12,000 per year for insurance?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Are you prepared to continue to pull numbers out of your arse?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How so? That is the typical range for insurance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.