1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think the health care bill will pass?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 17, 2010.

?

Do you think the health care bill will pass

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A filibuster is a procedure to keep a vote from taking place. What Pelosi is proposing is to keep a vote from taking place. What's the diff?

But the only way they can do it is because the senate already passed a version.

I just don't see how one way around the rules is so much more unpalatable than another. If the senate wouldn't filibuster, I'm sure they'd be happy to let them pass a different version 58-42.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But purpose is to provide cover for Reps to be able to say that they did not vote for Senate health care bill.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It sounds like Pelosi is pushing it through without a vote.

I know this has been done before, but I doubt on something this big.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Man, politicians spend a lot of time fussing over shit no voter cares about or ever will. A public opinion on poll asking people about the "Senate" versus "House" health care bill would probably draw an 87 percent finding of "Whaaa?"

5. Michael_ Gee

PS: Mizzou, what are you talking about? If Pelosi could send legislation to Obama's desk without a vote, she'd have done it already.

6. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

False.

From TPM:

"Before the bamboozlement gets too far, let's be clear about what the House is considering doing. There are two bills. The senate's original bill and the changes to that bill the House has now negotiated with the Senate. Normally, this is all hashed out in a conference committee. And it's all voted on in a single vote. In this case, that's not possible because of the continuing Republican filibuster in the Senate. So the House is considering taking both bills, consolidating them into a single vote, up or down. The old fashioned way. This isn't 'not having a vote'. And this has been done repeatedly before. Anybody who thinks these two bills shouldn't be passed simultaneously or thinks one or the other shouldn't pass has a simple solution. Vote no. Simple.

This isn't complicated. It's consolidating two votes into one."

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/03/lets_be_clear.php?ref=fpblg

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A filibuster is a tool used to kill an unpopular bill.

Pelosi is attempting to sneak thru a bill without a vote. A bill that even the majority of her house colleagues on the Dem side don't like and could very well destroy 1/5 of the economy.

Anyone who honestly believes this is the correct and just way to resolve this is a fucking fool.

And Mizzou, to answer your question it's NEVER been done before on something this big. Pelosi needs to go to prison if this happens.

8. Michael_ Gee

AQB, a filibuster is a tool to let a minority defeat a bill. Popularity has nothing to do with it. Destroy one-fifth of the economy? You gotta stop listening to talk radio. Really, once more I repeat. If Pelosi can pass the bill without a vote, why are they having a vote, and why does this thread even exist?
    To answer the actual question, I believe the bill will fail. The Democratic party's identity crisis is too severe to allow it to govern. Many of its Reps would be more comfortable as Republicans, but Bush damaged the brand, so they're Democrats. If the Republicans take the House, as I expect, I also expect about 15 party-switchers the day after.

9. Boom_70

Michael - what has been the general feeling on Mass. Health care program? Has it done what was intended. Has it saved the state money?

10. Michael_ Gee

The program is generally supported. Scott Brown did in his campaign, for example. It has provided coverage to a lot of people who wouldn't have it otherwise, and while it has cost more than originally thought, not too much more -- yet.
    Crunch time may be near. To keep costs down, the state has to limit payments somewhat to hospitals and doctors, who are, of course, way, way more popular than insurance companies.
    But if it wasn't for the hole the recession has blown in the state budget, there really wouldn't be any problems worth mentioning with the plan. And it retains majority support, at least according to the polling done around the Brown-Coakley race.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree with you on everything except the "identity crisis" thing. All politicians instinctively try to avoid sweeping measures, because then they end up taking a beating when their regulatory attempts inevitably turn into large-scale disasters. Those politicians -- Democrats and Republicans alike -- primarily exist to hand out favors to people who can keep them in office when reelection comes around.

There's no identity crisis. There is a "this doesn't have broad populist support and it is going to be bite me in the ass if it turns into a mess" crisis. If it is some identity crisis, as you said, it certainly isn't related to anything about George Bush or Democrats really wanting to be Republican (and really the real differences between the parties are negligible), because prior to Bush, in 1992 Bill Clinton made it the centerpiece of his agenda, Democrats controlled Congress, and they showed no will to pass any kind of legislation. Then too, It was a "bite me in the ass" thing, not an identity crisis.

12. Boom_70

What is the average monthly premium for an Individual? Family of 4?

Do I understand correctly that everyone in Mass must have a proof of insurance card to get treatment at Hospital?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.