1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Think That ACA Will Increase or Decrease The Cost of Health Care?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Do You Think That ACA Will Increase or Decrease The Cost of Health Care ?

1. Increase

63.2%
  2. Decrease

36.8%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What is your opinion on Affordable Care Act? Will it increase or decrease cost of health care for most Americans?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Boom, my honest answer: I don't know.

It depends on what study you look at. Some think it's a bargain basement value. Some find it to be an utter boondoggle. Except for people who have put serious time and serious open-minded study into the question, I don't think most lay people have any idea. I think most people decide their answer and work backward for there.

3. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Seems like a loaded question to me. Is there another plan (including changing nothing) that will decrease the cost of health care?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It was sold on the basis of "bending the curve" on costs, so that seems like a good question ... we should have demanded an answer for in 2009. Now, clearly it's just another ACA lie.

5. printit

printit Member

Decrease in the long run to the extent that you always get what you pay for, and quality across the board will decrease.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not at all. It is a serious question that I don't think enough time has been spent debating. I believe that part of the lack of acceptance on the part of most is that there has been little concrete about the costs.

My feeling is that the cost is going to go way up for most individuals have now have insurance. It's a given that costs will go up for those that don't have insurance, since they are paying nothing now.

From a Federal budget standpoint I think the costs will be staggering once ACA is fully in place. No doubt these costs will filter down to tax payers.

One item I've not seen discussed much will be the increased costs to the states that take on the new Medicaid program.

If you use Massachusetts as a guide the numbers show that their program did not make things cheaper.

In the end it's going to get cheaper for the 1% ers. All those who own a business that will now be able to reduce costs by pushing their employees to the subsidized Federal programs.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Average cost per person?

Cost of specific units of health care?

Total national economic expenditure on health care?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

For whom and over what length of time?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are some parlor tricks that can be used to show how this will reduces costs for every single American and give them all a unicorn too.

But the reality is federal programs rarely deliver on the promises their advocates trumpet. This will be no different. This is a massive boondoggle that carries the added bonus of widening the feds' ability to tax anything they deem necessary.

Change indeed.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Cost to the government or cost to the person who uses obtains healthcare for himself/herself?

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Way too soon to tell.

I'm presently contracting and buy my own sub-par insurance at a discount that makes it bearable, but still irksome, through my job agency. From my understanding of my plan I expect my costs to decrease somewhat (if I'm still working like this in two years, which I hope I will not be). But I have no idea what will happen practically. I do not trust anyone who claims they do.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Will health care's share of our gross domestic product increase or decrease?

Draft saved Draft deleted