1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you subscribe?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think journalists should subscribe as a show of support for the business.

I think publishers should require their staffers to subscribe, for the same reason.

I also think publishers should then hire tens of thousands of residents from the coverage market, thereby reversing circulation declines overnight.

Problems solved!

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think you might be on to something there.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At my last paper we would get asked once every three months or so if we were getting the paper. If you weren't, you would get a nasty form letter from the publisher.

I always lied, knowing they'd be too lazy to check.

4. Joe Williams

Love it. And if they checked the subscriber rolls, you could always just blame the carrier, saying that the paper showed up even if a bill never did.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked at one place where they charged employees the lowest amount they were allowed to legally and still have it count as circulation. I think it was about $10 a year or something ridiculously cheap like that.

At my last place, it would have been about $20-$25 a month even with an employee discount.

6. Joe Williams

I've heard of places that still give the employee discount to staffers that got bought out or laid off, just because the paper is frightened about losing them from the circulation totals.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the same kind of support the honchos show by expecting people to work off the clock, not put in for overtime or get by on low mileage rates when gas prices were at $4 a gallon?

8. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

I think by deleting the latter half of Joe's post you missed his point.

9. txsportsscribe

no it doesn't because there are several people saying employees should subscribe to show support for the paper. support is a two-way street. his was just the one i replied to.

10. Joe Williams

No, Tex, you did miss the point by truncating my post. Do you walk away from a joke before the punchline, too?

11. txsportsscribe

what i said still applies to the people saying journos should all subscribe to their own paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted