1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you subscribe?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Hell no. And they shouldn't be forced to subscribe. And they shouldn't hear any grief if they take a few extra copies for clips. But, sweet jesus, subscribe to you own product.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Honestly, if I didn't work for my paper, I probably would subscribe. But when I can get it for free five days a week, it doesn't make sense for me to. For the other two days, I can go without and get caught up at the office.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i believe the final product is the greatest working tool at the disposal of reporters and editors.

the paper should supply said working tool.

just my POV.

4. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

FWIW, if I work at Toyota, all the cars in my garage are Toyotas - not just the car my employer provides me.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit, and all this time i thought you worked for honda.

6. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I'm not one to advise people on their money. The point is that journalists should be reading the paper in whatever form they can: newsprint, online, proofing pages.

In disclosure, I pay $3 per month. When I'm done getting my clips and clipping coupons, the paper goes in the recycle bin five days a week, which happen to be the same editions I help proof, both news and sports pages (but no features sections because they're fucking brutal). Days that I don't work, then I actually read my delivered newsprint.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I get mine for free.

8. I'm obviously not a team player, but I stopped subscribing a year ago. It became more of a hassle to scrape the paper off the driveway and into the trash can, and it cost merely $15 a year. But I just couldn't bring myself to read it, with the exception of the Sunday section (one of life's great joys, if you ask me). I work, at bare minimum, 60 hours a week, and reading a paper (see: critiquing my own work) during breakfast was driving me nuts. Don't get me wrong, I think my shop puts out a fantastic product, but for the few hours each day that I'm not at the office, I want to be as detached from work as humanly possible. I don't think that's a poor reflection on my paper or the business in general; I think it's healthy. I'll tear my own copy (and that of my coworkers) apart at the office, but damn, I need a little me time. :)

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I subscribe. Always have, basically for the "supporting the paper" reasons, and to get the Sunday.
    But I'm moving soon and was thinking about letting it go, at least during the week. Save $8 a month and a lot of recycling. We'll see.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I don't live in the coverage area. I can't get my paper delivered.

I have chosen not to get the local paper, because I don't think it's very good. I cancelled my subscription to the bigger, almost-local paper after a few years, because I kept winding up with a stack of the sections that interested me on living room floor. Now I read some of that online, and the rest, well... apparently I can live without it.

I do usually pick up the free weekly from the stack that's dropped off at my building, but I know the editor and a couple of staffers.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I haven't gotten the paper delivered to my door since 2003.

In my neighborhood, there are about 50 houses in a three-block radius, one person gets the paper daily (oldest family in neighborhood BTW...). Three used to get the Sunday only, but canceled that when the paper stopped offering it as an option.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I got subscriptions for my grandmothers at my old shop. I paid full price for them.

As for me, I'd pick up copies in the newsroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted