1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you subscribe?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Nov 29, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

We get it delivered for free and if we did not I would not subscribe because I can read it online for free.

Why would you not provide papers in the newsroom? Our staff uses the paper each day for different things.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I get it for free and it's delivered to my house. If it wasn't, they always have 8-10 copies sitting out on the desk in the newsroom that are up for grabs for extras for clips and stuff. Or, you know, I could just read it online. :p

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We have a stack of about 35 papers placed in the newsroom about this time each night.

And a handful are put in our morgue, which has the last year's papers stored for use.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When I worked at a newspaper, we'd get a first-run copy between editions for proofing. Beyond that, we had to subscribe at 50 percent off. I did, but never read it. Basically picked it up out of the yard and put it in the recycling bin. But figured the EE would find out if I called and canceled my subscription. :D

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I don't, but five days out of the week, I'm designing the damn thing. Besides, I can go online or in the office to get what I need.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I subscribe to ours, but I'm a freelancer and don't have access to free ones. When I worked for a big daily, I always picked it up at the office. On days I wasn't in the office, I bought one. I also have a weekend subscription to our nearest big city paper, which in the last six months has gone from being a great paper to being a worthless pile of crap. I won't be renewing that one.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

At the old paper, we got them free so we subscribed.
    We get the 50 percent discount here, and I just pick one up in the office. I found it makes my mornings easier if I don't look at the paper and see all the little things that will annoy me so.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

We have been weekend-only subscribers but are considering, gulp, ending that. There is an employee discount, but other offers are better deals.

9. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I get delivered free here, but about a month ago I suspended it while I was on vacation and never got around to renewing it.

It really hasn't been a problem.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't get my paper, but I've got access to it at the office -- generally right after it hits the press. I'd get it for free at my house, but rather than waste the paper, I decided to decline.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nope. I pick up my copy in the office every morning.

12. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I subscribe at the employee discount.

Here's the thing, though: My paper just discontinued its practice of taking my subscription cost directly out of my paycheck. Now I'll have to write a check every quarter. And though it's no net gain or loss to me, the act of writing that check makes me think about it in a way I never did before. I'll keep the subscription, because I believe in taking the paper. But I don't understand the upside in the company's making things more complicated for me, or any other customer.

Draft saved Draft deleted