1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you subscribe?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Saw a note that The Palm Beach Post no longer will provide as many papers in its newsroom as it has in the past, and management basically said that if you want a paper, we encourage you to take advantage of the 50% discount you get on a subscription.

Got me thinking . . . how many of you actually subscribe to your paper with a discount, and how many just get a copy when you show up in the newsroom each morning? I subscribe, and it is very cheap to do it, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth what little money it costs.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I get it for free. At the paper I worked at over the summer it was 50 percent off and I subscribed.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Maybe a circulation guy can help out with this ...

A newspaper is allowed to count one copy per employee for its circulation, right? Do they actually have to get that paper into their hands? Because my shop doesn't provide enough copies, nor does it make available copies of the weekend editions.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

My shop did the same thing and no longer supplies the newsroom with copies. I subscribed before management made that decision, but decided not to once it seemed like they were forcing me into it.
    Now, whenever one of my bosses asks if I read the paper today, I let them know I no longer have a subscription, those greedy bitches.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I don't, but only because we don't have carrier delivery. (Weekly, mail-only.) Instead of waiting for it to show up in the mailbox a day or two later, I buy it off the rack when it comes out. If I want some for clips, though, I will drop by the office and snag a couple for free ...

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

that's preposterous.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just go down to the print shop/receiving area/library/circulation area and snag a few if they won't bring any up.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I get mine delivered to my door each day for free.

Also get free classified ads. Even though I can get that on craigslist.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i subscribe, for no apparent reason.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My mom subscribes at 50 percent off and gets just the Sunday paper.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I don't. We used to get the paper for free, but no longer do and I can live without reading it in the morning. I usually read everything on the Web and only look at the print copy to help when designing pages.

I get our state edition in the office hot off the press, and can always grab a city edition from circulation if I need one.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Except that you would be able to read the paper. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted