1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you still drink beer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'll drink a Stella or some other pilsner occasionally (50's now) but I'm more likely to ask for vodka now, as said above, more efficient, less bathroom time, and frankly a more enjoyable adult beverage.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Beer is still great after a round of golf or some other exercise on a hot day, and for certain food pairings like crab cakes, Tex-Mex, cheesesteaks and other sandwiches, etc. But to just drink as an apertif? Very, very seldom.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I love drinking beer but I very seldom sit down and polish off 10 or more Bud Lights like I did in the old days. I am in Wisconsin so I enjoy a couple New Glarus (I am digging the Cabin Fever Honey Bock this winter) or Capital (loving the Winter Skal at the moment) brews while watching some college hoops. I also like some of the higher ABV Sprecher beers. One or two and I have a nice buzz...mmmmm beer....

4. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

I drink almost solely beer. I'll have an occasional glass of wine and an even less occasional mixed drink. I like good beer. High ABV beer. Beer that doesn't taste like the "beer" in that link, which, like LTL said so eloquently, is mostly pisswater.

I buy maybe a 4- or 6-pack every two weeks. Or a bomber. It's always something that has significant taste and that I won't drink quickly. If I'm out, 1-2 beers, but only if the selection is right. I usually would rather not drink if the selection of beer at a place isn't solid.

Am I a beer snob? Yep. But that's fine with me.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In the past decade, I have switched almost exclusively to wine, nearly all red. I like it so much more than beer. I rarely have the hard stuff.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Red Zin and I really like Malbec.

But the favorite is BEER. Mostly craft beer, and I try as many as I can when in different regions.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That last sentence explains a lot about the decline in beer sales. The loyal Bud drinker is a dinosaur. And craft beer drinkers often like to sample and are less about specific brand identification. Although when I'm in Indianapolis, I try to grab as much Sun King as I can, especially the Wee Mac. Sun King, by the way, has its own concession areas at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, including some varieties brewed just for the games, which is so so awesome.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The point has already been made, but yes, I love a great craft beer, a good, stinky IPA that actually has flavor. I don't drink a lot of macros any more.

I've gotten into drinking whiskey and scotch quite a bit lately, usually neat or with an ice cube. Mixed drinks rarely. I do like a good glass of red wine now and again, too.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cookouts, poker and watching sports with friends is where I do 99 percent of my drinking and hard stuff is not as conducive, and if I drank wine, I would be teased.

And in no way am I going to drink something from an apple or strawberry.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Good friend of mine is a pretty big muckety-muck at one of the country's biggest beer distributors. Per him, ALL the mass-marketed beers are struggling w.r.t. where they were a few years ago. Also per him, a large-but-not-widely-understood reason is that no big brand has had a hit ad campaign -- e.g., the "I love you, man" bits -- these last few years. When one of those campaigns takes off, he says, the impact is HUGE.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When I'm at my house or someone else's house, mixing in some rum drinks isn't unusual.

But if I go out, it's almost exclusively beer. None of the ones listed in that article. Yuengling is my go-to. Most places around here have it. It's my favorite. The backup is usually Miller Lite. That's only once in a while though.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I wonder, too, in a time when all sorts of brands are breaking into downmarket or upmarket, with the middle being hollowed out, if beers are suffering the same fate. I wouldn't be shocked if Milwaukee's Best Light sales are going strong, like craft beer, while the middle market of Budweiser and Miller are the likes of JCPenney and Sears.

Draft saved Draft deleted