1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you still drink beer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

My wife has noticed that my personality is different when I've been drinking whiskey than when I've been drinking beer (or not drinking at all).

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And, her point is?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But people were buying them at some point.

We've simply become a nation of foodies. Especially young people. I thought it was an urban, hipster thing, but it's not. I think the Food Network has driven a lot of it. I think shows like "Mad Men" and "Boardwalk Empire" have driven some of it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That I won't be able to help out with the kids and the cleaning and all the other joys of post-dusk domestic life.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

For my friends in their late 20s, I'd say it's a pretty even split among beer, liquor, and wine. For me it depends on what I'm doing and what time of year it is. For liquors, I mainly drink whiskey and gin and switch between them depending on the weather.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Exactly. I still drink beer as does everyone. I know. But we typically drink craft beers, Belgian ales and the like as opposed to cheap mass-produced pale lagers like Bud, Miller and Coors. I think the statistic about those beers losing market share is as much attributable to regional and local craft beers - as well as larger nationally-distributed microbrewers like Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada - cutting into their sales. For example, plenty of beer was consumed at the Super Bowl party i attended this weekend - it was all New England beer like Mayflower, Harpoon, Shipyard and Wachusett. I drink whiskey as well - it's not an either-or. It depends on what I'm in the mood for.

7. MisterCreosote

I'm glad to do all that alone if my wife wants to get shitfaced every now and then. And vice versa (for my nonshitface activities).

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Craft beer sales are growing 20-30 percent by volume annually. Given it's starting from a low base, it's not a huge part of the market, but I have noticed more shot-and-a-beer liquor stores around me beefing up their craft selections.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2014/02/craft-beer-boom-seen-as-wine-threat.html

It's also why big brewers are buying crafts. Anheuser-Busch just bought Blue Point on Long Island, and it's bought other crafts such as Goose Island in Chicago.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-anheuser-busch-inbev-blue-point-brewing-co-20140205,0,4948012.story#axzz2sOKThH9N

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've decided that hard liquor is a more efficient way to get drunk/buzzed per dollar and per calorie.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Most of my friends who drink (mid 40's) have left beer and drink vodka or whiskey.

Re the 'nation of foodies' comment: I had a fund raiser poker tournament for my daughter's soccer team a couple of years ago.... your buy-in included beer. Try buying a keg for an event w 30 guys... you can never get a beer that everyone is going to love, or even like.

11. MisterCreosote

And, you make far fewer trips to the bathroom.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I haven't had a beer in at least 10 years. College. And I never cared for beer much, anyway. I've always enjoyed stuff like Jim Beam, Southern Comfort, Maker's Mark, etc. These days, I'm trying the different brands of moonshine, which has really blown up since the "Moonshiners" TV show. I'd go to the likker store and see one obscure brand a few years ago, now I've tried three nationally-known brands (Ol' Smoky, Midnight Moon, Firefly).

I think it's because all I really want is one drink (neat, over ice, mixed) at night and be done. I've never been a heavy drinker, only gotten drunk once in my life. Why would I blow my money on a 6-pack when I can put a few more bucks into something nicer?

Although, I haven't made an effort to try any of those fancy craft beers that people weren't into a decade ago. And I sure didn't know anybody who was into home brewing.

Draft saved Draft deleted