1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you shoot?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Sorry for the slow response, but yes, that sounds about right.
    I think I have a good eye, but I'm a bit slow on the technical stuff. I adjust ISO and shutter speed, but the camera either seems to handle the f-stop automatically (and if that's the dumbest-sounding thing ever, I apologize) or it's been set up to adjust when you adjust the other two settings. I rarely mess with it, at least knowingly.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Finally finished going through my winter sports photos. Wanted to share some of my favorites here and get feedback/a critique. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you'd like to see more, check out my two new galleries:
    The middle of the season-> Paul J. Spetrini Photography
    The end of the season-> Paul J. Spetrini Photography
    Thanks in advance!

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Good work schiezainc. The only one I don't like is #2 -- she's out-of-focus. I really like #1 -- it's a very dramatic shot. Really like the composition of the hockey trophy shot. I really like the isolation of the Rhode Island dunk shot. The mascot playing the guitar is funny.

4. schiezainc

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't realize it was going to display so large. It's sharp enough that I can get away with it small but blown up shows its a bit off. I just like the composition so I kept it in the bunch.
    And the Rhode Island shots were good to me all season. It's about the only place I went to (Save for an occasional hockey rink) where the lighting didn't completely suck.
    Looking forward to spring, that's for sure. I've shot three games and all have been very, very good to me thus far. :)

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The beam shot is really pretty sweet. They're all strong, but that one moreso.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I haven't gone through my take from yesterday other than this one, but it wasn't awful. Needed an extra RB shot for my story.

[​IMG]

7. William Wilczewski

William Wilczewski New Member

Good advice. I hope to think this is a good example of what you can do when you focus on a base as HandsomeHarley suggests ... Prep baseball.jpg

Attached Files:

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Schiez, did No. 35 from Middleton buy that pic? I would. Has look like this is easy for me. "As cool as the other side of the pillow" if you will

schiezainc likes this.
  9. schiezainc

I wish. I shot it for the paper I work for. If he did, I never heard about it. Also, if he did, I didn't see a penny of the money. lol

10. Matt Stephens

I'm working with our preps reporter on a how-to video for pole vaulting. We have the No. 1 female pole vaulter in the state in town, so we strapped her up with two GoPros, put another on the bar and I used one freehand to capture more b-roll. Also snagged this photo of her coming over the top at practice today.

[​IMG]

schiezainc likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet shot.

12. Matt Stephens

Thanks! Just realized how tilted it was. Just went in and straightened it. (GoPro is the only thing I ever use HDR on.)

Draft saved Draft deleted