1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you shoot?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Really like those RI hoops shots. Some good action that also captures a lot of emotion.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

High jump and gymnast shots really stand out for me.

Did you use a flash at all?

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Thanks guys and, no, unfortunately I do not use a flash for any of my work as most places/indoor sports won't allow for it. (At least the times I've tried)
    That's why my winter shots are a little grainier than I would like. All in all, I'm happy though. Much better than I did at this time last year.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Lots of nice shots, schiez ... and as a swim parent, I especially liked the butterfly action shot, with the splash behind the swimmer.

As someone who takes swimming pictures with an older SLR film camera, it annoys me how meet officials hammer me with "no flash" rules while literally hundreds of parents have auto-flash on their smart phones during meets. You can shoot swim meets without a flash, but for those of us less-skilled/equipped, it's tougher.

5. schiezainc

Oh, believe me, I've battled with lesser equipped cameras for years. It's nearly impossible to do much in the winter with the way some of these places are lit.
    Hell, it's still almost impossible for me some times and I have a Nikon D3 and D3s to play with now.
    I'd love to start working with strobes and flashes. It's on my wishlist of skills to learn.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Really nice all round schiezainc. Really jealous you can shoot at an arena at f/4 with an ISO of only 4000. Plus to have the seating area dark like that really makes it easier to keep the eye on the players. Great action in all of them.

I've been seriously thinking about getting a 3s. There are consistently low-mileage used ones under $2,000. Maybe before next football season...

7. schiezainc

If you can get a 3S at a good price, it's well worth the investment. Right now my only qualm is I'm still using the entry-level Nikon 80-200 F2.8 I bought a few years ago and it's not as sharp as I'd like it be. I think I'll upgrade it next year as 2014 was a big investment year for me with my gear and I need 2015 to be a house-buying year so I'm trying not to spend too much but I'd love to have a brand new 70-200 instead. Such a great lens and the extra 10 mm wide would bring the gap for me between my two primary lenses (My other being a 24-70).
    As for the arena, yeah, I hear ya. When I shoot at the URI Ryan Center, it's really the only time in the winter I can go to F4 at ISO 4000. Most other events, which are about 85% of what I shoot, I know going in it's going to be a 1/500, F2.8, ISO 6400 night. LOVE when I can shoot with better settings than that. For sure.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

How much experience do y'all have with shooting photos with GoPros? I started out testing it two weeks ago and really like it. Snowy shots are at Rocky Mountain National Park; buttes are at the Pawnee National Grasslands (I love how Fort Collins is about 1 hour from both). Anyone have any to share?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Some shots from baseball season:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I love shooting plays at the plate.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

What's the specs on those shots? I'm more interested in the aperature than anything else.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

EXIF data says (in order):

Pic 1: f/9
    Pic 2: f/5
    Pic 3: f/4.5

Draft saved Draft deleted