1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you shoot?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just go to tinypic.com, upload, then paste the url over here.

As far as volleyball goes, being the SE of a university daily for two years that always has a Top 15 program with 16 consecutive NCAA Tournament berths (GO RAMS!), I can tell you this:

Ninety-nine out of 100 volleyball photos are either a block attempt at the net or a dig by the libero.

We didn't use the same photo twice during my two years as SE, but we might as well have gone to game one and ran the same shot all year. Nothing against our photogs, they were amazing, that's just how the sport works.

2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

We had a running photography thread at one point, but it never got much response. As a photog, I'd love to be able to answer questions/offer critique, whatever.

3. JamesCimburek

JamesCimburek New Member

8K circ, been shooting my own photos for most of my 15 years as sports editor, first because I didn't want to deal with the drama from the photogs, then because they repurposed the photog position to give me my first full-time assistant. I have earned five state AP first-place finishes since 2000, so I think I'm doing OK.

If I'm shooting and writing the same game, my strategy depends on whether or not I'm working on a tight deadline. If I'm not, I'll shoot the whole game, or at least most of it. Otherwise it's shoot quick and set the camera aside so I can write my story and keep notes at the same time.

When I started shooting, I was shooting with a manual-focus film camera. I am now on my third digital, a Nikon D300S, and I love it. Still getting used to shooting video with it, though.

Here is our photo site http://spotted.yankton.net Feel free to hit me at @Aceman904 with questions.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

No.
    That being said, is for action at an event that I'm covering. I write. I'm not a photographer.
    But, I'm not a big enough ass that I can't/won't do some things. It seems like I shot some kind of grip and grin thing a couple of years ago just because it was easier for me to take my own personal camera and do it than try to set up a photo assignment.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

ADodgen is a fine shooter and person. Take advantage of the offer for advice/input. Dangerously seal of approval.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Oh, and I really liked your ideas and suggestions, Rhody.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    This shot got me third place at the state awards; not bad considering I'd been shooting less than a year at that time.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's better than some kid almost snotting and throwing up on me after a race.

9. Rhody31

Some more stuff, all with a Nikon D1H, no flash, with a 300 ml lens.
    EDIT: The shot of the girls soccer game with the cool-looking sky was taken with a 15ml wide-angle we found at our offices. I started screwing around with it and fell in love with the thing. That night I looked up, saw the sky and said "hmm, that might be a cool backdrop."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I started shooting about a month or so ago... got a Canon t1i in November with a 18-55 and 55-250 zoom...
    I've taken some good stuff, at least some people here who have seen my stuff on FB, have said so. But I wish my lenses were a little better. 18-55 is F3.5 at lowest and the 55-250 is 4.0, but 5.6 extended...
    The sports editor was floored when he heard I started shooting and the copy desk was backing my work...

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ding!

12. Rhody31

When our final staff photographer retired, we went through all our staff lenses.
    We have 2 300 mls, 4 200 mls, 2 25 mls and a wide angle with the two D1H lenses. No staff photogs though.
    The lenses make the difference. I barely have any idea what I'm doing, but I can take decent shots.
    The biggest benefit is taking the camera and lenses home and shooting family events. My wife's aunt thinks she's a pro photog - she has a decent eye for sit-down shots - and got a new camera and was showing it off.
    I whipped out my big lenses and immediately was asked to bring them for everything. The Easter shots I got were great. This one's my favorite - my sister-in-law giving my then 3-year old niece a peck on the cheek:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted