1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you shoot?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just wanted to get some feedback from other writer's on here about photography and if they have any experience? In today's world, especially with the smaller shops, I know it's pretty common for reporters and editors to shoot when covering a game; however, I don't know if those outlets do any training with their writers of if they just say, "swim!"

Do you shoot?
    What do you use?
    Care to share a link with some of your photos?

This is just some stuff I did this morning of the first day of spring football for Rivals using a Canon 50D: Colorado State Spring Football

I'd just appreciate some feedback on them and see the works y'all do as well. Personally, I haven't really had any training, just picked up a camera and started shooting one day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Class of 2011 RB recruit who was a December grad. "Huge" doesn't begin to describe it)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Only in self defense.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Some may say you're limiting your marksmanship practice opportunities.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I shoot pretty much everything from games to feature sets...of course, we have one staff photographer, who I can bring in for Friday night football and for the occasional feature set. We have company-owned D-70s that go to me (SE) and to our part-time sports writer. Definitely a skill to pick up if you want to be around the biz for long.

5. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

I got all excited when I saw the subject line I thought it was how to improve your aim with editors.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Only when I have to, and since they traded the broken "good" office camera for a point-n-shoot with no manual focus, I refuse to shoot sports.

As far as your pics above, they're all right to begin with, but one thing I learned when shooting and placing photos is this (don't ever forget it): "Real people doing real things."

Otherwise, shoot the "standing still" shots to have something to fall back on, but begin to challenge yourself. One thing I do/did, in shooting baseball or softball, for instance, is focus the camera on a base and then shoot like hell as a runner is moving to that base. Shooting the pitcher is another easy one, because they don't move from your frame much, so you can manual focus on the mound/circle (Please, DO NOT EVER CALL IT A MOUND IN SOFTBALL).

Football, volleyball and basketball? I leave those to the pros. Volleyball is doable, just focus the camera on the setter or server and hope for the best.

William Wilczewski likes this.
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Huh. My money was on heroin.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nope. Never will. I write.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think he was asking what we do well.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh.

Well then I don't have anything here to contribute. Which, really, if you think about it, is what I do well!

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Upskirts only.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I like to get the photography out of the way, first.

That way, it's less of an interruption and the resulting images appear to be more spontaneous.

Then, a can concentrate on a meaningful interview without the distraction of thinking about what visuals might be needed to accompany the story.

In other words: I shoot first and ask questions, later.

Draft saved Draft deleted