1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you root for your alma mater?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 14, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I root for both of my alma maters. Indiana State mostly because it makes for lots of laughs because, other than women's basketball, the mighty Sycamores suck at everything.

Ohio because they're actually decent at multiple sports these days.

Oh, and Oggiedoggie . . . TRAITOR!!!!!! :D

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. ::) ::) ::)

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cut the cord years ago. Don't even watch them on TV -- ever. I'll watch HBO or the History Channel instead.

I grew up as a townie; both my parents and all of my four sibs also graduated from the school, but familiarity does indeed breed contempt. I've seen how they make the sausage, and I want no part of it. Haven't set foot in the joint for eight years (except to go to my sister's law-school graduation). My brother has season tickets, and he always offers; it's a nice gesture, but not for me.

Funny thing is, we have some fanboys/fangirls around the office who are BIG fans, who always try to engage me in jabber about how ole Alma Mater is doing in football, or more often basketball. They're aghast when I tell them that I never watch, couldn't care less. "What kind of sports writer doesn't care about his alma mater?"

They also agitate to the SE/ME/publisher that ole Alma Mater deserves bigger play in the paper, usually whining that Big Rival "always gets more ink."

I always shoot that bullshit down. Big Rival gets more ink because it deserves more ink. Anybody who would argue otherwise is a moron.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No, Sam did not go to Penn State. Let's clear that up right now.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Temple

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Easterners!

7. BitterYoungMatador2

When Matador and a couple of friends went out to 'Zona for the Fiesta Bowl we named the school, "University of Pittsburgh-Tempe." Both teams play in half-full stadiums and cant seem to get their shit together to save their life.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. But watching the program bust Penn State in State College during the NCAAs one year was easily one of the biggest thrills I experienced.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Vanderbilt? They do play pretty good baseball and hoops, too.

10. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Nope. I went to Missouri and I'm very grateful for the education and the opportunities I got there but it was all just a business deal, sort of like going to Bob's School for Truck Drivers. They got my money. I got my degree. We all went away happy.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

do you tailgate for bowling, or just drink in the alley's lounge like everyone else?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thought you were a Vol for a second.

Draft saved Draft deleted