1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you root for your alma mater?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You went to Vassar?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Do you work with me?

My DII school doesn't have football, but I do pay attention to its basketball team because it was really good while I was in school.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bryn Mawr, motherfucker

4. Yes.
    In fact, I will be doing so in several locations around the Eastern seaboard in the coming months and also would like our coach to do a better job.
    Rah.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I always care about what my college's baseball team is doing, because that's where I spent my time in school (when I spent my time around the athletic doings).

Outside of that, I care a lot more about my high school's sports than my college's. But I think I'm really careful not to offer anything like, "We really should cover West Bumfuckvia's game in two weeks..."

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Yup. Especially now that I know a fellow board member roots for a longtime rival.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hockey, which is really the only big-time sport at my alma mater (hoopsters occasionally go to March Madness, but the only time the majority spoiled New Yorker student body ever gave a damn about them was after Rick Pitino's "CYO crowds" tirade over a big conference game drawing 430).
    As for football, don't get me started. Swear to God, John Silber's the only Texan on earth who hates football.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I do, but I don't live or die by it. I'll check out a score and go "meh" or "cool", that's about the extent of it.

Lately, my alma mater has been such an abject embarassment in basketball -- the losing being the most tolerable thing -- it's easy to tune them out. If they were in the NCAA tourney, however, I'd be into it.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i never thought of bubbler as a bandwagon-jumpin' girlie man ... until now. :D

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Do I root for your alma mater? (Look left.) Yeah, you could say that. ;D

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I root for mine. I do own two jerseys; yes, I know I'm a looser fanboy.

I'm kind of glad I'm covering a game tomorrow, because I'll be able to avoid the steam-rolling of a low-end I-A school who's only chances for wins this season are Temple and Syracuse.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Flash, we are cross-town rivals (well, we could consider that at least)

Draft saved Draft deleted