1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you root for your alma mater?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 14, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That reminds me, irish...

The pep band at my school used to get to the hockey games early and then go play for their supper in front of the concession stands. They'd march right up to a stand and play at full blast until they got a bunch of free food.

Clever, for band kids...

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

After the school in the subarctic, I went to grad school at UT and hated it. I went from being pro-Longhorn to disliking UT in one semester. I still hope they beat OU and A&M, but other than that, fuck the Horns.

3. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

I am a Florida Gator, so of course I root for my team; why wouldn't I? We beat the crap out of everyone in everything.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The last time I remember attending a football game at my DII college in a non-journalistic capacity was nearly 20 years ago. The girls basketball coach of the high school I covered at the time was a grad of that week's opponent and talked me into going so he wouldn't be by himself in a "hostile" environment.

I think I've covered three games since, stringing once for the opposing school's paper and once at my current gig (four hours away) when a local guy coached the opponents in a matchup of nationally ranked teams. The other time was when I was working on the other side of the state and dear old alma mater visited a school 20 miles from my shop. We usually just took the SID release, but that year I actually got to a few Saturday night games.

Draft saved Draft deleted