1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you root for your alma mater?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 14, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

After watching the end of an upset win for the school I graduated from Saturday, I couldn't help feeling absolutely nothing for the team's accomplishment. Total indifference. If anything, I may have been slightly hoping they'd lose.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no. i could give two shits.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Which one?

I could only root for the University of Kansas during basketball season. Football is futile. (They do have the lowest paid football coach, pound-for-pound in the Big 12.)

And my dear Ohio Bobcats? That school places way too much emphasis on academics and partying to have anything left over for sports.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

There's a rumor going around that La Salle University has a football team, but whenever I went to a game, I just saw blue & gold tackling dummies. At least they ditched the Notre Dame-styled jerseys & helmets. I used to root hard for the basketball team, but all the players I went to school with have finally all graduated, so I don't know anyone there. If they win, yay. If they don't, no big whoop. The only squad that I closely follow is the baseball team now.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Cal State Fullerton dropped football 15 years ago so that's out. Basketball's OK, but baseball season is really the only time to keep track of what's going on there.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yes. M-I-Z...

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Always root for the Dal Tigers. Even when their hockey team sucks big time, I still hope they will turn their fortunes and get back in the playoffs.

But it's weird. I also root for any AUS team that gets in to any CIS championship because well they are from Atlantic Canada. It is always nice if an AUS team comes home with a CIS banner.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sure I do. I root for them every time USC pounds them in football and U of A whips them in basketball. Then I wonder how a school located in almost paradise (girls wear bikini tops to class!!!) cannot field stronger teams.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yes. But only in the pressbox. :D

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

While wearing a team jersey.

11. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

It's great...to be...a Florida Gator...

Dang right I do. ;D

12. It's (and my hometown NFL and NBA teams) are my guilty pleasures. We spend so much time being impartial, observing, watching that rooting for State U allows me an emotional outlet. I'd argue that I probably root more for State U. now than I did when I actually went there.
    However, I also notice that I'm way more analytical than I used to be, and predicting what is going to happen before it happens (particulary when you can see it's going to be bad for State U) does take some of the fun out of it.
    Then again, occasionally State U does surprise me.

Draft saved Draft deleted