1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you respond to positive emails?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Aug 20, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I wrote a big Sunday centerpiece story that has elicited tons of positive feedback, particularly in my work inbox.

Do you respond to positive emails as well as negative ones?
    I just spent a while responding to every one, cutting and pasting my response, a brief thank you.

You?

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Oh yeah. You have to respond to both. Responding to positive ones are a lot easier than negative ones. :)

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yep. Always good to thank the readers.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

If a reader takes time to email me, I'll always respond. Period. They could praise me to no end or rip me to shreds, I'll always write back. Atleast they care enough to write.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Respond nicely to them. Ask where they work and if they are hiring.

7. Yes, I respond to positive emails. Also make it a point to include that it's so rare to hear something other than negative email that it's really appreciated. Consider that a passive-aggressive attempt to make them think twice before sending negative email next time they're moved in that direction.

8. I try to respond to all of them. If they take the time to write me, I should write back.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Not playing thread police, but some suggestions here:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/72028/

10. Why I come here:

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I always respond to both.

It's nice when someone recognizes what you've done an appreciates it. We take enough crap from people, I always thanks the positive ones for the kind words.

Most of them write that they know we mostly get negative stuff, so they'd write something nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted