1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you read your newspaper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Before I respond, I've got to admit I'm guilty of not reading cover-to-cover on a daily basis. I've got my go-to sections and reporters I read daily, but usually skip the rest of it.

That said, I'm amazed by how indignant we all get about people [the general public] not reading the paper when many of us don't do it ourselves. I suppose it's sort of like working in fast food. You see how its prepared every day, so there's not much to be gained from eating it. I'll buy that, but...

I see NO excuse for people not reading their own section and, if you are in a competitive market, your competitors' paper(s). I don't see how people think they can get better in this business if they don't read other, better writers and re-read their own work after it's been published.

OK. Hopping off my soap box now.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

As Patton said when asked if he read the bible next to his bed: "Every goddamn day."

3. Read the paper everyday - along with every other (on-line) newspaper in the state. I have about two dozen on my computer.
    I also read CNN, Fox and Drudge several times a day, along with Yahoo, ESPN and a few local Big papers (Post-Gazette, Trib-Review, Wash. Post). Its a daily ritual that takes about 40-50 minutes.

I'm not a news junkie, I just grew up reading the paper. Have read the paper first thing in the morning nearly everyday since I was 10.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Anybody who doesn't at least LOOK AT the paper they work for is lazy and not serious about doing the best job they can do.

Sorry, I can't put it any more gentle than that.

If for no other reason than to make sure you don't write something or put something in a roundup that has already been in the paper . . . you must know what's in your paper.

Every time I hear someone go, "Do I need to put this Duke lacrosse item in briefs . . . ?" I want to strangle them.

Duke lacrosse runs in our news section. It has from the start. You should know that.

Of course, at least they ASKED. Even worse is someone who puts the item in the briefs without asking, then has do re-do the briefs when the slot catches the screwup.

And writers . . . if you will read how your story was tightened and how we use numbers for all distances and how we do not capitalize "coach" . . . then maybe you will quit making the same mistakes 23,000 times.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I look at my section everyday...but that's not the 'whole newspaper'

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

I try to read every staff bylined story in the news sections and at least skim over the feature stuff.

I agree with an earlier poster...It's incredible that we moan about the demise of the newspaper business, and yet so many of us don't even bother to look at our own product.

As for job interviews, I agree 100 percent. In the past, when I have applied for a job, I start reading the paper online "cover to cover." It's very impressive to be able to banter with the hiring editor about some local news issue.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My paper cover to cover. And the competition. And many other sports sections online.

8. ogre

ogre Member

I always read our section, not just to read my stories for changes or mistakes, but to see what is going on with everything else. As for the rest of the paper... not so much. The last paper I worked at wasn't exactly a golden source for news beyond the utlra local.
    When I already read the L.A. Times in the morning, and my own shop wants me to pay for a subscription, I don't think so. Maybe out of spite.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's right there in our job description: Read newspaper daily.

And in your shop, wherever that is, it should be the same way.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I am not going to read what doesn't interest me so I can say "yes, I read the paper" to other journalists at a cocktail party. I WILL read what does interest me.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If you don't love newspapers enough to read them, why work for one? It must be the generous pay, the terrific hours and, oh yes, the groupies. As far as I'm concerned, people who don't read their own newspaper are a complete waste of breathing space in the newsroom. We'd be better off without them, whether we fill their position or not.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Now tell us how you *really* feel. ;)

For the record, I agree. Read ours cover to cover every night when first run rolls off the press.

Draft saved Draft deleted