1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you read your newspaper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

And I mean, outside of proofing the sports section at the end of the night? I know at my last shop, I rarely did.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll scan through the news section and read the op-ed page. If there's something major or interesting happening in town I'll read the story.
  3. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

When I worked at 'em, I read 'em every day, and I read my local paper now cover to cover every morning. When I moved into my own place post-divorce, I didn't for a while and just felt like I was missing something.
  5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I work on the web -- in sports and not affiliated with a newspaper in any way -- but still read my local paper every day. Every section.

If you come in for an interview and don't know current events beyond sports I won't be hiring you. Simple as that.

If you say you don't have time, you need to find it.
  6. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

I'm pretty sure you can figure out what's going on without reading the paper...
  7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

By watching the TV news? I don't think so.
  8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I wish my writers did. The younger ones, especially. Then they would see what I keep changing and maybe catch on --- and quit freaking doing it.
  9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Same here. Sports letters go into the main section, so I end up looking at that quite a bit.
  10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And as for the sports, we can now read that online five hours before it comes out in print, so...
  11. Yep, every word under a local byline and much of the wire stuff.
  12. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Welp, my response was for Kleeda mentioning not knowing "current events beyond sports". I feel you can get up to date on "current events beyond sports" via the internet a la CNN, yahoo, etc without picking up a newspaper.

If by current events one maybe means current events in a certain region, the TV news isn't going to be the best source for that. I agree the local podunk paper is the best source to find out what happened at Dicksville's school board meeting...
Draft saved Draft deleted