1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you read The New Yorker print edition?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 13, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If so...have you noticed that they changed the paper stock after all these years? The latest copy I received is definitely duller white, and it's not slick.

Cost cutting measure, I suppose.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Hadn't noticed. Still have my panties in a wad over never placing in the cartoon caption contest. And maybe it's just me, but the captionless cartoons seem less interesting than a few years ago.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read it religiously for over a decade. I loved the movie reviews. The New Yorker review of the Phantom Menace is my favorite review ever...

I may be paraphrasing, but I'll never forget the last line.

"It's crap. Now say it out loud. It's crap."

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The all-timer was Anthony Lane's takedown of Mamma Mia! Greatest movie review I ever read.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife gets it, and the issues pile up fast.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

About a decade or so ago, it would seem like a few times a year, Brill's Content and New Yorker would arrive for me on the same day and my roommate would always tease me. "My aren't we intellectual?"

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We get it at home but I've been using my i-pad to read it since the spring.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have it on my Kindle.
    Do not like fact that I cannot get archives which you get if you have on IPAD

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Used to get it for many years. Then I'd put aside issues to read later. Soon I had dozens of issues piled up and never quite got past the cartoons.

At $40 a year, I decided to let it go.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I read it at the library. And if I'm going to be going on a flight, I download single issues to my IPad.

Draft saved Draft deleted