1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you read books?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 26, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is utterly fantastic, and timely, since the Twilight Zone marathon is a mere five days away.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm also a big library guy, my local system has a great branch no more than a five-minute walk from here. I have checked out many of the great selections on the books thread there.

Like some other here, I am a binge guy when it comes to books. I am a commuter and read a lot of magazines to kill time on the road but when I get into book mode I can plow through them. I read a lot of politics, sports books, music bios and some fiction. I have probably read eight or nine books - including some pretty hefty tomes - since Labour Day.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I typically read about 30 books a year, 3/4 or so of which are non-fiction. I also read a ton of magazines. I'm a big fan of my local library system, which, like HC's, has a great hold system. Except when all my holds come in at once, which happened to me last week.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Happened to me a few weeks ago. I performed triage and returned some of them and had the librarian replace my hold. In fact, I'm just reading "The Lonely Polygamist" after returning it then. :)

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

One of mine was "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks," which I returned this morning since it's due before I get back from out of town. I knew it was one you recommended and I've already put it back on hold.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I read probably two a week on average. I've been on a big NASA and WWII kick lately.

I haven't gone to bed without reading for at least 30 minutes since I was in college.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Great book. I think you'll find it worth waiting for.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Really? Gonna have to check that out. On sighfie?

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

We have the same system. If we don't have a book, we have several libraries all over the United States and whoever has it will send it to us for a set period of time. It's a pretty nice system. If you can drive and stay awake while someone's talking at you (I personally can't...I need music.) you might see what kind of selection of audiobooks the library has. I would probably say we check out almost as many audiobooks as we do regular books.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I haven't read a book in a long time. I just don't have the attention span, but I can pick a newspaper or magazine cleaner than a buzzard on roadkilll.

11. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Yeesh, I'm always in the dog house with the wife about how much I spend on Kindle books. I read mostly non-fiction whether it's historical, biographies, memoirs, politics, etc. I'm all over any new Rick Bragg book. I also love reading folklore, particularly Southern folk tales or ghost tales. I read some fiction, mostly horror stuff like Stephen King. I'm reading Fight Club right now.

12. highlander

highlander Member

I love reading books. I'm really into Alternate History. It's unique and interesting and you have no idea where the books are going. I also enjoy history and political books. Just got the new Tom Clancy book. Finally when I'm on long drives I like books on CD. I know it's not reading. Bob Newhart's book on CD was very funny. He has an interesting life story.

Draft saved Draft deleted