1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you read books?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 26, 2010.

1. I read at least 2 books a week. One digital and one paper. Normally have about 5 books going at the same time.

Roll Tide

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Not nearly as much as I'd like. I probably read 10-15 books a year. I always have one with me -- take it to work, take it to lunch, take it to bed. But, I don't read nearly as much as that effort would indicate.

I get a lot of magazines, too, and don't do very well on those, either. I love and hate TV in the bedroom. I love sleeping in, waking up and popping on the TV for an extra hour of mindlessness. I also have my PC hooked to that TV and watch lots of movies and old TV series that way, which I love. But it all means I rarely, if ever read a book before bed. I find it really, really hard to turn the TV off.

It also means I get through some books so slowly I don't enjoy them, so slowly much of the nuance is lost on me when I go a week or two without making significant progress and the whole thing takes me a month or more.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I read as much as I can afford -- Dr. J and I have to own our books. I'm also a fast reader, and I'll fly through the books I got for Christmas by the end of next week.

I'll probably order five or six off Amazon (used of course, for about .50 a piece) since I got a lot of cash for Christmas.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I read as much as I possibly can. I also do a lot of re-reading...picking up a book I really liked about a year later and re-reading it to try to catch things I missed the first time around.

Like IJAG, I read a lot of mindless chick lit but I also read a lot of fantasy (preparing to re-read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings), mysteries and action books. I was also teased mercilessly (actually, am still teased mercilessly) by my family, who really doesn't read. At all. Seriously, the last book my mother read was in high school more than 30 years ago. Most of my family members don't even have bookshelves in their houses.

And this year, I finally got what I really wanted for Christmas -- a Barnes and Noble gift card. Seriously. That's all I want.

And now I work in a library, which is like an alcoholic working at a liquor store. I'm just enabling myself, but at least it's not at B&N, where the books are for sale. The books I can take home for free. Huzzah!

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I would like to read more books. But my attention span is shot to hell after years of magazines, and the only time I have to read is right before bed. I'm lucky to get through a page and a half before falling asleep.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fiction, mostly. Some other stuff.

Much of non-fiction today is boring, long, overwritten and some historian/commentator gazing at his/her own navel.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I read a lot but much less since I have a car - commuting was great reading time. I've stopped buying books as much as possible just because there's no room for them. The Toronto Public Library is my main reading room. Every time I hear of something I'd like to read I go on their website and put in a request. When it's available they send it to my local branch and notify me by email that it's there. I like to think of it as Netflix for readers (Netboox?)

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I still read books, though not as much as I'd like. Part of the problem is I go out of my way not to accumulate too many possessions. My book-buying tends to come in flurries (usually right after I relocate somewhere), and I also offload books in flurries (right before I relocate somewhere).

College textbooks aside, I think I spend more on books now than I have in the past, so it's not the economy. It's just finding the time to stop and read them. The Internet doesn't help, though I enjoy reading long magazine articles, so books shouldn't be an issue.

One of these days I'm going to follow through on my threat to spend a long weekend on Pulau Macan and take nothing but a change of clothes and books.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes. Not as many as I'd like, and I'm not a fast reader.
    But I will not stop reading books unless my eyes force me to.
    Last great book I read: The Short, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.
    I'd put it in the category of seriously great books I've read in the past decade, along with Motherless Brooklyn, The Lovely Bones and The Corrections.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I try to get through two books each week, but I don't always make it.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Guesstimating, read 30-40 serious books a year. 90%+ non-fiction.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC probably reads close to 100 books a year.

I'm probably half that and usually have about three books on the go. Mostly non-fiction (politics, Canadian history, sports books, biographies) but need to get back to reading more fiction

And the Toronto Public Library is a fabulous system

Draft saved Draft deleted