1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you read books?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know there are a couple of books threads on the site, but they seem to get an excruciatingly slow amount of traffic. And, of course, they are frequented by a self-selecting audience that actually ... reads books.

For some reason, I'm curious about the reading habits of this board. If I have a New Year's resolution, it is to read more books and magazines and less blog posts and other Internet munchies.

Do you guys read books?

Did you used to read books and then get away from it the last few years? Do you blame the economy? Do you blame the Internet? Or perhaps it is the opposite - perhaps the Internet has helped lead you to more books than you could have ever hoped to discover before.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I definitely go through books phases. I wish I read more, without a doubt. I also wish I read better books. But much like my television viewing habits, I go for cheap and easy and mindless. Lots of chick lit about mean boys and finding love and all that crap.

I do go through phases where I read voraciously. And when I am, I wish I would do more. But my attention span is so short that it ends up just being phases. Borrowed Ball Four from a friend several months ago. Read through like 200 pages of it in the first day and a half. Haven't picked it up since. Brought it home to Kentucky to try to finish so I can return it...it's still in my suitcase. :(

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

Real ones and now books on a Kindle, too.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yes. Stacks and stacks of mysteries and thrillers.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Read about two dozen books a year. Wouldn't mind if I had time to read more, but that's a pretty good pace for me.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do comic books count? :)

Seriously, I do read "real" books constantly. I always have one with me. I mix in classics with the sci-fi crap and there are a few I re-read at least once a year.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Yes, and I always will.

History, presidents, news-type events and those things interest me. I don't care for fiction, like John Gresham, or the hot-popular thing at the moment.

I vow to never read one on a Kindle, iAnything or other eGizmo, either.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm listening to my iPod nano for the first time. it's not looking good for the printed word right now.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Plus there are only so many books about Pantera out there.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Do I read books? Only all the time.

At the first parent-teacher conference for each of our kids, it was obvious that the kindergarten teachers were happy they could tell me that my kid was the best reader in the class. Our revolutionary technique for accomplishing that was that we read to them, and they saw us reading for pleasure.

At ages 10 and almost-13, I still get to use trips to the bookstore as a reward for good behavior.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I don't read as much for pleasure since I started grad school, but I still read about 15-20 books per year. Usually history or politics related stuff.

12. maberger

maberger Member

i read books -- probably a couple dozen -- 30 a year -- as well as subscribe to way too many magazines. but for as much 'physical' reading as i do, i would say the internet (blogs, websites, whatever other time-wasters i can find) has cut into that, cuz otherwise i'd likely be reading all the stuff piling up.

Draft saved Draft deleted