1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you post your kids' grades on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cool. My son played bassoon so he didn't have to march! But at his high school the percussionists were some of the most talented musicians in the "sit-down" band.

JRoyal likes this.
  2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Really don't give a fuck if you would or not. My family and friends were happy to see it. And if not, fuck it, they can block me. As a freshman, it's an accomplishment.

It's funny that we don't care when parents brag about their kids' sports accomplishments, but if someone brags about their child being intelligent, it's obnoxious. Misplaced priorities.

And I've bragged about way more than what I listed, too. Youngest made the state geography bee; that was on there. Oldest was honored at the school academic "signing day" banquet his senior year. Had pics and stuff from that.

One thing people seem to forget on Facebook: Just because one of your friends posts something, it doesn't mean that they were posting it to you. You aren't their only friend. Good chance if they're posting that stuff, it's because they have other friends who want to see it. (For me, it's because I have family and friends out of state that love to see it.) So get the fuck over yourself.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Always dug the bassoon. At my kids' school, they've had some amazing opportunities because of the band program. Oldest got to play at Carnegie Hall and march the Rose Parade. Youngest is marching the Rose Parade in January and playing at this huge international conference in Chicago in December. Stuff I never imagined they'd end up doing. It's been a cool ride (though somewhat hard on my checking account lol).

Ace likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No worries. I definitely know people who need "my kid is better than your kid" validation. More common now to see those insecurities play out publicly.

Always gives me a good laugh, though.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Kinda like seeing someone admit that it makes them feel better about themselves to be judgmental of people who like to share their kids' accomplishments? That gives me a chuckle, too.

And for the record, I know lots of my kids' friends who have just as great of accomplishments as them or better, and their parents share that stuff too, and I'm proud of all those kids. For me at least, it's not at all about comparing to other people's kids. My kids are great, but so are a lot of their friends and so are a lot of my friends' kids. I've been damn lucky in that respect. It really is about sharing with my family in North Dakota and Texas and some here in Oklahoma that I haven't seen in years, or with friends who live in Cali and Massachusetts and wherever they work now that life has spread us around the world.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I look at Facebook as letting the grandparents, uncles, cousins, etc., across the country know what our family is up to. I may not post that my son made All-State in band, but I definitely would post an item and photo of him playing in the All-State band.

JRoyal likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

*unfriend*

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is the message-board equivalent of that scene where Billy Madison makes fun of the third-grader for trying to read.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I reconnected with an old college girlfriend on fb this year. Turns out her kid is going to Harvard this fall, playing a D1 sport.

I looked back through all of her posts in the past year. All she posted about her kid playing a D1 sport at Harvard was one picture of her, her kid, and her husband at signing day, with a Harvard sign in back, with the caption something like "congratulations to all of the Podunk High seniors at signing day". That's all.

I always liked her.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Thank goodness there was no Facebook in my youth. My folks would have had blank pages if they were relying on my accomplishments to fill them.

Unless they wanted to brag about my incredible self-amusement skills.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't have any kids. Pause. (Big sigh of relief from the sj community.)

But if I did:

I would not post his/her grades.

If she were banging a high school teacher, I'd sue.

If he were banging a hot female teacher, I'd sue, and be telling the whole world about it. High fives, kid.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

What if he was banging a teacher who was a 6?

Draft saved Draft deleted