1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you post your kids' grades on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 1, 2016.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You ever see the Honest Toddler twitter account?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I hadn't, but I just looked. That's some funny shit.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

BOOM!!!! OBAMA DOESN'T WANT YOU TO READ THIS!!

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't usually like to brag about my middle schooler, but I did post on Facebook pictures of him and the English teacher he is dating. [/crossthread]

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

My daughter made all A's for the year so my wife posted that. I may have posted it, too, but I honestly don't remember

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The deal with my kids is that I take each of them out to the lunch of their choice if they get straight As. So I usually post a picture from those lunches.

YankeeFan and Ace like this.
  7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I've had people tell me the exact opposite. My sons have both gone through one of the best marching bands in the country (three-time national champion, including last year), and the fees are up there, esp. this year with us going to the Rose Parade. We do a bunch of fundraising and pay a chunk out of pocket ourselves, but when we've done fundraisers, I've had family and friends both who have told me they'd rather have a way where they could just donate directly to the kids' trip accounts so they know when they pay $20, it all goes to him, rather than paying $20 for jam and having $10 go to him or having it spread out among the group.

Remember, not every post that someone puts on Facebook is aimed at you. They have friends other than you, friends who might not view asking for help as "panhandling" but would see it as an opportunity to help a friend's kid.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

As for the OP, I don't usually brag on grades because my kids do awesome in school all the time, so I don't see that as unusual. Bragged when my son got a college scholarship. Brag about a lot of their band stuff, but a lot of my friends are band people, and my family out of state likes to see it. Brag on my youngest's artistic talents, which he got to show off some this year. Bragged when my oldest got a 32 or 33 (can't remember now) on the ACT as a freshman.

As for a time when parents "kept that shit to themselves," parents have ALWAYS bragged about their kids when there was something to brag about. Not all parents, but a lot. Now, they just have different ways to do it. Used to be at church luncheons or poker games or whatever. Now it's on Facebook. Maybe you want to pretend it didn't happen back in the day, but that's bullshit.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Remember the guy who heroically quit the Adelson affiliated Connecticut newspaper?

His son posted stuff like this, along with links to the GoFundMe account.

And dad wasn't embarrassed at all.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I don't know you, but that is one of the most obnoxious things I've ever heard. And yes. I would have been able to take advantage of similar opportunities to brag about my son.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

32 or 33 as a freshman is braggable. Congrats. What instrument does he play?

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Both are percussionists, front ensemble in marching band. Oldest was on marimba for three years; plays bass drum in TU's band now. Youngest is on vibraphone heading into his sophomore year. Being a former percussionist myself, it's nice seeing them making it a family tradition. Of course, now their kids will want to play flute probably.

Draft saved Draft deleted