1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you post your kids' grades on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I enjoy the communal aspect of FB, but some things strike me as too personal for the format.

Iron_chet likes this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I'd rather see someone brag about their kids' grades than see "You'll never guess what happened next!" clickbait posts in my feed.

Huggy and doctorquant like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

True. The kid updates and pictures, if posted sparingly, are reaction magnets. The only thing that comes close are photos of couples together. Also, ugly people looking reasonably attractive.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

While I'm a prolific "liker" of kid pics/updates, I'm also partial to candid pics of folks partying prior to sporting events ...

5. Dick Whitman

This is all brand new information!

doctorquant likes this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really don't mind people bragging about their kids or spouses or pets, whatever. I think it's all how you do it.

In some families you see one child get bragged on all the time for grades, achievements, extracurriculars, wonderful boyfriend, etc.

The other kid you might see a rare update where he got a haircut -- which is good because he neeeded it. But I kinda feel sorry for the haircut kid instead of thrilled for the other.

Also, when you can't tell if it's the parent or the kid posting this wonderful news (why do you use one of your children as your profile pic anyway?) that's kind of creepy and sad.

7. doctorquant

You never know about stuff like that, because maybe somebody else popped for the trip. As I've mentioned on another thread, for the last few years my wife and I have HEAVILY subsidized beach trips for/with her siblings and their children. Given those siblings' financial precariousness, I'm sure they have to pass on lots of other extras. But their FB feeds have plenty of pics of nice weeks at the beach.

8. Dick Whitman

I don't feel like people should brag about their spouses on the Internet.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Point taken, but if you were going to pay for my trip (just me, not the kid) to the beach or Costa Rica when I couldn't afford to pay for youth baseball (not talking about travel AAU), I'd decline or cash in the ticket and buy a glove.

10. Dick Whitman

I think there's a considerable amount of mommy pressure to do this. Mrs. Whitman had one or both of the little ones as her profile shot for a while. But then Prince died. Now people must think she's a purple-suited black man.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I saw another think piece recently about what happens when the kid starts posting about the parents the way the parents start posting about the kid.

Think about it.

"Ugh. If you're so drunk that you're slurring, this isn't going to be a productive conversation."

"Hey Mom and Dad, I know you think we're asleep, but we can hear you!"

"I admire my dad so much. I know he'll find a job soon. Keep trying, Dad! Never give up!"

Based on the behavior being modeled, why would a kid think posts like that were out of bounds?

12. doctorquant

Well, in our instance, there's nothing to cash in. We arrange for the rental, choosing timeframes that work for everyone, then sort of pretend that their part is, say, $500 (when a truly fair share would be $1,500). And then we say they can pay us whenever, knowing that whenever might never come. But even that approach can get slippery, because everybody has to pretend it's truly a communal thing, when it's clearly not. Which is why we're not doing it anymore.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted