1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you post your kids' grades on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 1, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've not seen that, but given the circle of recent FB friends I've acquired via YDQ, I wouldn't be surprised. The urge to let the world know how fabulous is your kid is a strong one ... and when you couple that with the urge to have your kid's fabulosity validate your own?

2. ... Are your kids on Social Media?
    Mine are not.

My oldest kids' BF is... He's 12. He had a GF and they would message back and forth on FB. She broke up with him last week. This drama went on all evening via social media and carried over to school the next day ... yadda, yadda, yadda... the kid was suspended on the last day of school as result of his GF drama.
    To me, this reinforces the other thread on kids and social media, and they fact there is no need for it. It's the second time in less than a month the kid was suspended from school. He's pretty sensitive and has anger issues.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don’t Post About Me on Social Media, Children Say

In most cases, parents and children agreed — don’t text and drive; don’t be online when someone wants to talk to you. But there was one surprising rule that the children wanted that their parents mentioned far less often: Don’t post anything about me on social media without asking me.

The standardized test score thing was all the rage when Facebook first got popular among the mommy set, at least in my area. It seems to have come and gone, though.

What I'll never understand are the ones who post pictures of their high school kid and boyfriend/girlfriend like they're a married couple. Do the moms not think that's going to blow up in their faces?0

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Never grades. I might post a photo of my kid winning a wrestling meet or something but I try not to brag too much.

I think most straight up, breathless brags reflect more on the parents than the kids.

Flip side of that is how hard parenting is by those who claim work takes them away from them kids or they can't afford youth baseball this year but half their feed is the parent vacationing or clubbing with friends.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's an informed opinion ... :D

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know, man. People are allowed to have a weekend once in a while.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

To me, this is setting a low bar for things that should be celebrated. If they get straight A's, by all means reward them, but use restraint. One-on-one interaction over a report cards seems appropriate. Announcing it to the world - especially in today's 'everybody gets a trophy' culture - just seems ridiculous to me. You gotta leave yourself room to escalate when they really do something noteworthy.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My kids aren't old enough yet, but I doubt that's the sort of thing I would post. Who the fuck cares if my kid got a 5 in coloring?

I generally try to consider if my FB friends will think what I post is funny, informative or at least help them keep up with interesting things in my life. An 8-year-old's school grades won't make that cut.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You lose me when you say you couldn't afford to pay for youth baseball for your kid this year and then are showing photos from Costa Rica.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Not to take too many steps into the rabbit cavern, but this morning I saw a post from a father announcing/mourning the death of his son. Not my place to tell anyone how to grieve, but it struck me as out of place on FB.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Actually, that one seems like using the network for what it was for, which is circulating news of major life events to people. Deaths, weddings, births.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Our son is a high achiever, so we brag away. And people seem to like it, as the photos we posted the last couple weeks of senior awards and graduation got hundreds of likes and dozens of comments.

We never tag him without his permission, however. Some things are only shared with mom and dad's friends, not his.

He usually posts his report card, but not sure he would if his grades weren't so good.

Draft saved Draft deleted