1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you pay for access to any online newspaper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I used to read The Sun in England every day just for enlightenment and entertainment purposes. It went behind a pay wall last year with it's "plus" package of all these bells and whistles. It's very expensive. I'm not interested all all that bullshit. If they offered a reasonable subscription rate for just the paper content, I'd probably do it. Apparently they do that for iPads and phones, but I don't have an iPad, and the phone would be a pain. I miss reading it everyday, but because nothing there really impacts my life, the price isn't worth it just for fun.

2. Mira

Mira Member

I subscribe to the NYT print edition on the weekend and to the Sunday edition of my state's paper with the biggest circulation. That subscription gives me unlimited online access to the paper's website. Costs $120 per year, and to me, it's totally worth it. I read that site daily.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

My shop had some sort of goal for online subscribers by year's end. They made a big chart and said we had to think daily about ways to bump that number. Apparently no one else did, because the number stayed static, rising and falling by a few 10th of a percent each month. I can't recall if the chart was taken down or just put into a corner.

Then again, it's great to be presented with metrics to meet with no real sense of how they're meant to be met.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you speaking generically, about a specific local paper, or about a paper like the New York Times?

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Agreed, but I do not find that it's worth the hassle of rebuilding your other cookies.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I subscribe to the New York Times online. I really think it is worth it. I spend a lot of time there every day.

I have, at times, paid for the Boston Globe, because I used to live there, and I am a Red Sox fan, and I have also paid for The Day of New London, Conn., because I worked there and try to stay in touch.

Prior to my current job, I paid for that paper online as well.

I would never have had all four at once, and usually subscribed on the 99-cents for a month deals, then jumped off.

$9 for three months of the C-J is really good.

I do really like the NY Times recent redesign.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude has said she would pay the $20 a month to access our content, if I didn't get it free.In our case, it's not so much converting print subscribers but getting the medium-casual readers to pony up. The headline italics, though, do look a little odd online.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Not necessary in the case of The New York Times. Just clear your browser cache, then search your cookies for nytimes and zap those. Nothing else is affected.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You can also open the page in a private window (not sure what the phrasing is depending on your browser). I do this on occasion because one of my area papers went to a pay wall and I use it for work and I won't pay for that. I mostly just scan the main page for headlines and only click on those that I really, really want to or need to read. The pay wall has definitely caused me to visit the site less. Curious to know how that paywall plan is going.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

For their local sports news? Maybe -- maybe -- pro football.

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

LOL no. Honestly, every time I get stopped by a pay wall I'm less likely to go back to that news organization.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think the better question is whether anyone pays for the "e-edition," with readable pages sent to your tablet.

Our shop thought this would go over like gangbusters ... and it's flopped.

"Maybe we should focus on getting interesting stuff into the paper, regardless of how it is read."

Quit being so negative!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted