1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you own a suit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Sep 20, 2018.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I dressed to the nines for the first NFL game I covered.
    I didn't give a shit how it looked- it was an important day in my life and something I looked ahead to since I was 12 years old.

exmediahack and Moderator1 like this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Good for you, Jethro. I'm saying don't judge impoverished people at funerals anyway.

Weddings, job interviews, knock yourself out.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"It's not often you see a Mexican in a suit ..."

[​IMG]

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

A suit for a prep game seems like overkill.lol When I was on the news side and covered county council, I always wore a suit to the meetings.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Replying to my own thread .... the place did a great job with the alterations, suit fit perfectly. Then we got a call that because my brother-in-law lived in Hawaiian shirts, they were requesting all the family dress like that. Fortunately, I had a nice one in the closet that I bought a month or so ago. And now, with my weight loss, a perfectly fine suit.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

See that raises a bigger question:
    Would you wear a Hawaiian shirt, even if the family was encouraging people to wear such items in memory of the deceased?

Honestly, I don't think I would.
    I don't think I've worn a Hawaiian shirt since 1985.
    I went through a phase as a sophomore in HS, 1984-85.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If they want you to wear an aloha shirt, you wear the aloha shirt proudly.

And you do not tuck it in.

8. writehooks

writehooks New Member

Never owned a suit, and proud to say I don't know how to tie a tie. I'm a 62-year-old Canadian sportswriter who has worked in 5 different countries over the past 40 years, including my current gig in China (going into my 8th year). Ironically, there are several expert tailors within a few blocks of my Beijing apartment who will custom make any article of clothing you desire at bargain prices, but I've never been so inclined.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

One — 25 pounds ago.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"SIR! SIR! SIR! HOW DARE YOU!"

My grandfather grew up on dirt floors in East Tennessee during the depression. When one of his 12 siblings died, he bought three of his brothers brand new suits so they'd have one.

It's something I believe is right and decent and important. You can mock me all you want.

Buck likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Do you think when the Coen Brothers were casting that role, they specifically asked for someone who could look like Estelle Getty?

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

What if it's a choice between buying a cheap suit for a funeral or buying food or medicine for your family that week?

I'm not mocking you. But not everyone can buy a suit in three days for a funeral. And, again, funerals are no place to judge people by economatic status or strict adherence to dress code.

On the other hand, guys wearing flip-flops on airline flights bugs me bigly.

Draft saved Draft deleted