1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you own a suit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We give all of our old work clothes to a similar organization. It’s a great idea.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm about to do a massive purge since working at home doesn't require the same level of dress!

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Best thing about a suit jacket/blazer? Pockets for phone and wallet.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you work in any professional sphere, and you’re a male, you should have at the very least one black suit and one blue suit.

As a sports journalist, you should dress to impress at the high levels of whatever your beat is. If it’s high school sports, wear a suit to state championships or the biggest rivalry in your area, for example. You don’t have to do it all the time, but toss it in every once in a while. You’d be surprised how much professional respect it can engender.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For us, it is Housing Works in NYC. They operate stores and the proceeds go to homeless people and people without means living with AIDS / HIV. You drop off the clothes (and any other items they can sell. ... they sell furniture, books, kitchen stuff, etc.) and if they think it has resale value, they might distribute it to any of their stores. ... I guess whatever neighborhood they think it is most likely to sell in. One of the coolest things for me, was when we drove over to the store near us with a car full of stuff and about a week later I went in and saw that same store stocked with our clothes and knick knacks for sale.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I used to.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I do own a suit and I've had to break it out 3 times in 4 years for federal jury duty, a sports banquet and a funeral.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jury duty?
    Federal or otherwise, they're lucky if them get me in anything less comfortable than boxers and an old t shirt.
    Maybe some basketball shorts or cut-off sweatpants with no underwear.
    And zoris.

F#ck jury duty.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I got a suit at Goodwill for $8 once. And it fit.

I work three jobs. I come from a family of hillbillies and skinflints. Raised among people who didn't wear jewelry or make-up or drive cars. We all figured out a way to get a suit. Don't make me sound like I'm trying to outclass people with your Jed Bartlett-storming-into-a-room routine.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    SnarkShark likes this.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

exactly

and if you know what you're doing - pour one out for Frank Ridgeway - you can get a vintage Hickey Freeman or Oxxford or Kilgour or Brooks Brothers suit on eBay for not much more.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have six blazers and sports jackets, three summer weight, three winter, including one old tweed herringbone I love dearly, slacks to go with them, and a variety of dress shirts, non white. But no suit.

Draft saved Draft deleted