1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you own a suit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Sep 20, 2018.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I was thinking about how bad Trump looks in his suits and it dawned on me that I am 56 years old and I have never owned a suit. I have a couple sports coats/blazers but never have I owned a suit. Am I an oddity or are there more of us than I think?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Three suits. Plus a tuxedo. Numerous sport coats.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Fuckin' suits. :mad:

I had one, but it got old, so I got rid of it rather than risk being out of style. Down to sport coats now.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I own two suits but I rarely wear them. Weddings, funerals and the occasional dress up event.

When they are only worn a couple times a year they tend to shrink in the closet. Especially around the waist

cyclingwriter2 and BadgerBeer like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Three. Too many funerals the past year.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I owned a suit. For college graduation, my grandmother took me out and bought me a very nice suit for job interviews and special occasions. Fit well, comfortable, nice material — I thought I looked pretty sharp in it.

I have no idea what happened to it. Delta Air Lines said it had no idea what happened to it, either.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I own a suit, the same one I used for my job interview. I recently replaced the pants and wore that and the jacket to a wedding.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes. Several.

Well, many.

Maybe 10 years ago, I got tired of trying to match pants and sports coats, so I started wearing suits. Much easier.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

When I was working, I rocked the sports coat, wool slacks, dress shirt, funky tie and nice loafers. I retired in 2011 and no longer have to try to impress anybody; sandals and jeans for me now.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Used to have one suit ... a college graduation gift.

When we were packing up things to move about 10 years later, my wife noticed moths had chewed holes in the shoulders of the jacket. That shows how many times I wore it.

I still have two sportcoats for the occasional wedding or funeral.

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I own three. I bought one out of college for job interviews, one a few years later because everyone I knew was getting married and another one last year because as someone said, too many damn funerals.
    I still own my post-college suit as motivation that it will again fit.

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I have a classic navy skirt suit I haven't worn in years, which was way too big when I bought it (but on great sale!) That replaced a burgundy skirt suit which was very well worn over many years. I prefer to wear a red blazer, white blouse and boring black skirt to job interviews, since I'm not exactly corporate. o_O Thankfully, I don't need a suit for weddings... but I do own many colorful dresses, plus a couple of (sigh) funeral-appropriate black ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted