1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do you own a landline?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Mar 12, 2009.

?

do you own a landline phone?

1. yes

37 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. no

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

If I'm always going to take your call, you get my cell number. Otherwise, you get the landline.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Have the landline, only because like Buck said, I have DSL.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Well, it kind of is. You can plug in your Vonage adapter anywhere in the world and if someone calls your number, it'll ring.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I work at home. I definitely prefer to do interviews on a land line. In fact, I use my cell as little as possible, hence, I have a go phone. Incredibly cheap. I use it when I'm out and working, of course, but other than that a few friends have the number and no one else. I don't give it out. Unlike the people who are younger than me, I don't want you to be able to find me any freaking time you feel like it. I want be to disconnected.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Got rid of the landline a little more than two years ago. Haven't missed it yet.

I can't argue against people who say they have it for emergencies, though. You just never know. In my new condo, our cell phone service stinks. It usually works, but you never know when the call's gonna drop. Fortunately, it hasn't become enough of a problem to warrant any action. Yet.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I give out my cell phone when it's warranted, but when I had my own office, I'd give *that* number out. I used to tell the people who worked with me not to give out my cell phone number (unless someone already had it, which happened once).

The way I see it, if I don't want to talk to you, I don't have to answer the phone. It's there for my convenience.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Neither.

I tend to all personal and business matters through the use of smoke signals.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ditched my land line almost 2 years ago

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Likewise. Cable broadband is notoriously unreliable here in the former Adelphia homeland.

10. I have a landline sole for the purpose of making international calls. Otherwise, I use the cell phone.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

As long as you don't have a Tony Soprano situation where all you can do is peck the numbers 9-1-1 before passing out, cell only is fine.

But, EMTs need that activated landline to find you if you can't speak....

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Have the landline for a few reasons.

1. It works better in my house.
    2. 911
    3. If anything truly awful happens, I know I won't have a busy signal because the cell tower is overloaded.

Although if you send a text message when all lines are jammed it has a much better chance of getting through than the phone call.

About six to seven times in the last 10 years has my cell been rendered useless by all the people making calls at the exact same time (9/11, DC Sniper, Tech shootings).

Draft saved Draft deleted