1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do you own a landline?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Mar 12, 2009.

?

do you own a landline phone?

1. yes

37 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. no

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. jps

jps Active Member

a new report out is saying that 17.5 percent of Americans rely solely on cell phone and no longer own a landline number. that's up from 14.7 percent, and it seems the cdc is trying to figure out just what to do about this, as it is starting to skew random-call surveys.

interesting to me, too, is that south/midwest homes rely more on the cell phone (26.2 percent in oklahoma) while northeast is still predominantly landline (vermont is at 5.1 percent cell only).

so just curious, how do we at SportsJournalists.com fall?

(if you're curious, full report at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr014.pdf)

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought about cutting back on my cell phone minutes and adding a landline recently, but I'm not sure if it is worth it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Own a landline. Almost ditched it but then you can't take the phone away from your kids as punishment.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Not for years.

Just wasn't worth the cost. I have my cell on me at all times and have cable internet. I reasoned that the cost for a landline just was not worth it.

5. It's just little ol' me and I am out of the apartment a good chunk of the day, so I don't see what the point would be. My cell is with me at all times, it is much easier to reach me there.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes, because my cell doesn't work at my house. No signal.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have a landline. It's not very expensive and it gives me peace of mind. On 9/11, it was next to impossible to get calls through on a cell phone. While I hope not to have to go through that again, I just like having the landline.

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I have real issues with my cell service because my cell phone roams over to the Canadian network so I have to keep my landline in case of emergencies.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I just this morning renegotiated my landline rate with the provider; we keep it solely in the event of an emergency. Here in So Cal, twice in the past year or so a major event has jammed the cell phones but we were able to dial in/out thanks to the land line...and of course, we keep a crappy old princess phone for the same reason (for you young kids, a princess phone is one that doesn't require power. Yeah, go figure!)

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Haven't had a landline since 2002. It's just throwing $30/month (or more) down a hole.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Landline. No cell.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Does a VOIP landline count? If so, then yes. I switched off a regular land line some four years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted