1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you own a firearm?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2015.

?

Do you own a firearm and why?

1. Yes, pistol(s)

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Yes, rifle(s)

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Yes, shotgun(s)

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Yes, a combination of above

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. If yes, for hunting

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. If yes, for personal protection

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. If yes, for target shooting

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. If yes, for other reasons

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  9. No, I do not own any firearms

49 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I own a shotgun which gets rare use hunting pheasants, doves and ducks. My family always only had shotguns until my brother and dad bought handguns during one of the last "Gotta do it now before Obama makes 'em illegal!!!" runs. They were pretty intent on buying an AR-15 too, though I don't think that ever actually happened.

They're fun to shoot, but I don't have a great desire to have one. I've lived 33 years without ever having wished I had the immediate ability to shoot someone. I don't imagine that will change any time soon. Maybe that would change if I lived in a different region or neighborhood, but I'm not entirely comfortable with handguns.

I'm not a huge hunter by any means, mostly just going with family. We're really not rednecks, I swear, but family events like Christmas do get hilarious. Everyone brings their shotguns and we shoot clays from the back deck after opening presents.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The ad is from 1981, and the group that ran it - Handgun Control Inc. - is now the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

I bet you could sell a good number of .38 revolvers painted like the one in the ad.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I own a .45 1911, a black powder .50 caliber, a .22 and a .38.

At various stages of my life, I've owned rifles and shotguns of various types.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I don't own any firearms. I've shot rifles and a shotgun.

I've seen handguns that belonged to friends.

When I was in Israel in the '70s, it was not uncommon when traveling by bus to sit next to someone carrying an Uzi.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Don't own any guns. I tried shooting a rifle once and the targets had nothing to fear.

I suck at shooting a compound bow, too, so if I have to feed my family by hunting, there would be a whole lot of dandelions for dinner.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

#dandelionlivesmatter

Vombatus likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've never owned a gun, and likely will never own one, but I have fired at targets a bunch of times and enjoy it for the sport. I'm not anti-gun, but I think stricter controls can be achieved without stomping on the 2nd Amendment. If we need to take a class and pass two exams - written and practical - to receive a license to operate a motor vehicle, I see no reason gun owners shouldn't be required to do the same. No one is worried that Obama is coming to take their cars just because they have to go to the DMV.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

High school buddy of mine works in the defense industry (electronics, I think) and spent some time as a single man in Israel. He tells the tale of having a boozy hookup with a woman and then waking up to see her Uzi leaning by the nightstand.

When he said he'd call her, he meant it.

9. You, apparently, don't spend much time around old people. ;)

Unrelated ... I posted that Jim Jeffries' routine on guns and Americans. I had to to Google the Aussie mass shooting he referred to. ... Damn.
    Port Arthur massacre (Australia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I have a shotgun. Makes things way easier, especially if something goes down in the middle of the night. Just aim in the general direction and you're probably good. And yeah, the pump action should hopefully do its job, too. I think we have 4 other assorted guns around the house. At least one on every level, sometimes multiple.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have a .22 rifle. I don't hunt but like to shoot targets now and then.

I don't have any problem with me owning a gun. I just don't want anyone else to have one.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I didn't but now that the guvmint is takin' my flag and telling me I have to marry a homo, I'm fixin' to git one.

Draft saved Draft deleted