1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you own a firearm?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2015.

?

Do you own a firearm and why?

1. Yes, pistol(s)

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Yes, rifle(s)

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Yes, shotgun(s)

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Yes, a combination of above

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. If yes, for hunting

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. If yes, for personal protection

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. If yes, for target shooting

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. If yes, for other reasons

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  9. No, I do not own any firearms

49 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not too nervous. I'm not nervous enough.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Your comparison to motorcycles is a pretty good one. With both, all it takes is one mistake and you don't even have to be the one to make it. I'm not taking that chance.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly. The downside outweighs the upside.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's not a 21-gun salute.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Grew up in the country. The old man had a few around just cause he liked him - he was never a hunter. Between him occasionally taking me out to the range and my buddies all having their own, it was just part of life as a kid.

I didn't get one for myself until I started working in the court system. Had a few uncomfortable encounters with defendants a little too close to home, and went out and picked up a 9 mm. Also bought a nice little .22 for the wife, but she's decided she's not interested in it after going to the range a couple times.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I own 2: My great-grandfather's pistol and rifle from WWI. I also have his saber. They're super cool. Though I don't think I'd care about them at all if they weren't my great-grandfather's.

7. 15 minutes long, funny and some salient points.

Stoney and cjericho like this.
  8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've never seen a gun either, except walking past a cop, soldier, etc. Don't want to either.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There are some REAL MEN and WOMEN on here at SJ.com. Makes me feel better about this place.

cjericho likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm one of the more politically conservative members here but no firearms for us.

I simply don't see a reward for the risk where we live. Low property and violent crime. If I lived elsewhere, perhaps.

Wife's parents have enough rifles to give to Swayze and his buddies in Red Dawn. I just don't want one in my house.

Our son is on a rifle team through Boy Scouts but must use one of the other kid's rifles when in competition.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No, two incidents in my family led me to think I'm better off without them.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My mother was in law enforcement, so I've been taught how to handle and respect guns. I've shot and cleaned a .357 and a .44, as well as a Walther 9mm. I see the appeal of shooting as sport.

I don't own a weapon and have zero interest in doing so under most circumstances. My feelings about guns run roughly parallel to the lyrics of the last verse of "Saturday Night Special" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

That said: If I lived in a rural area, I would own a shotgun. In my neighborhood, if any shit went down, three cops would be at my house before I could dial the second "1" in 911. I wouldn't have that same luxury out in the sticks when dealing with varmints, whether of the animal or human sort.

Mr. Sunshine and cjericho like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted