1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you name names?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Oct 28, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

yeah. Confirmation for a story like this is kinda important. :)

2. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

Most of the time, the kids aren't the ones at fault. It is someone else who muffed eligibility or transfer protocol. Why run the names? It's not the like the kids caused the forfeit because they got busted for DWI or armed robbery. If they are told they can plan and the mistake occurs this late in the season, that is someone else's problem.

Hold the school administration, coaches, and AD accountable.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Had this story early this season except the kid was ineligible because he hadn't been cleared by the state.

Kid transferred from a neighboring school, played in the first few soccer games of the season without having the paperwork cleared by the state. AD and coach both owned up to it. The big story, they had to forfeit a loss to a conference rival, which ended their league unbeaten streak at 66 games.

I named the kid. Didn't hear a complaint from anyone.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's not the same, though, as calling the kid a dumbass who can't pass Algebra I.

5. towser

towser New Member

Name names. By all means, name names. Unless, of course, it's a female lying or grossly exaggerating about a rape or sexual assault. Then ... oh my God, how could you even think of naming her name!?!?!? You misogynist, sexist ogre!!! How could you even think of it!!! Doesn't matter if she's lying through her teeth, don't you dare!!!

Oh, and make sure to name the name of the alleged perpetrator. No worries about ruining his good name over someone's lie.

(And no, this did not happen to me)

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I had a situation like this once, the kid in question agreed to be interviewed. It made for a pretty good story.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You bring up a great point... When I read the initial post, I assumed it meant ineligible because of academics. If that's the case, no way do I name names...

If it's because of a transfer issue, that's completely different because the kid (probably) isn't at fault.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, you don't name names UNLESS the school reveals who the student is.
    Had an instance here in last season's basketball playoffs where one of our area schools beatthe No. 2 team in the state on a Thursday, then forfeited on Friday for a player who was in too many semesters. The coach openly told me who the player was and I used it (he was also over 18).
    Have had other circumstances where it was an illegal transfer or grades where I didn't because the school didn't release it and/or he was a minor.

9. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

WTF newbie?

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Win.

In college? Yes. In high school? No. ... The only HS exceptions are if it's a big-name kid or was a high-profile transfer (e.g. the example above). But if it's just non-stars for grades or something? No reason.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you're going to use a kid's name and describe his 77-yard touchdown run, you sure as to hell have a responsibility to your readers to name names.

at the same time, if you do name names, there's no need to beat the kid over the head with it, either.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. If the kid is a minor, it raises legal issues with privacy. If he is over 18, he is an adult and you can use it.
    If he is a minor and the school releases the name, you can use it. If not, then you shouldn't.
    What if you run the name, the kid and school appeal and win. You've already used the name of a 15 or 16 or 17 year-old kid and you can't take it back.

Draft saved Draft deleted