1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you name names?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Oct 28, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I learned today that one of the high school football teams I cover had to forfeit three of its wins because it used three ineligible players in those games (one of the games actually counts as a double forfeit because the other team had ineligible players as well - good grief!) ... anyways, do you name who the kids are? I have no idea at this point but I've had an editor in the past who demanded names for stories like this ... my inclination is not to name names ... thoughts?

FB

2. jps

jps Active Member

not sure ... is this a grade issue?
    either way, I don't know that you use names. it wasn't the kids that cheated here - it was the coaches that had them play. name their names and ask them why this happened. see if they pass it off as a mistake, own up to a bad decision, etc. it is potentially a story, but it's a story about the adults in the situation, not the kids.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wouldn't. I think you can write this story just as effectively without getting specific.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

The correct answer is to name names. It's is your journalistic duty to report the story as completely and accurately as possible, so as to eliminate as much speculation as possible.

Also, you're going to get crucified by the parents for doing so. You have to decide which is more important to you.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

more information -- it is over academics that they are ineligible ... the AD owned up to it being human error - that they weren't thorough enough in checking grades, etc. He didn't try to pass the buck at all on that, and for that I was impressed... Actually, when he heard about another area school having ineligible players, that's what made him go and recheck his athletes. That's when he found where they had overlooked some grade issues with some ...

this seems to happen a lot in my state, which might be a broader story ...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is the score of a double forfeit?

7. If the school doesn't release the names - and I doubt they will - no.
    If the kids are minors, then also the answer is no.

Unless these are big-time stars (OJ Mayo, Terrell Pryor types), I wouldn't bother.

8. Maybe its like double-secret probabtion.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree completely. Unless the school, the coach, the players or the parents tell you they've been suspended, I would not be specific.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

In most states, it is illegal for the coach or AD to tell you who the ineligible players are if it is becuase of grades. They are not permitted to release academic informaton.

Simple answer is no need to name names. Just that 3 games were forfeited because 3 academically ineligible players participated.

If they are major players, it will become obvious who they are when they miss the rest of the season and you can write "with starting WR Joe Speedy and RB Bob Fullback declared ineligible for the season." If they're fringe players, nobody will notice.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you can actually get someone to give you names on the record, you've done something, unless their absence from the team is obvious. And if you get 'em, run 'em.

You put lil Johnny's name in the paper when he runs for 100 yards and 2 TDs. Put his name in the paper for this, too.

Edit: If it's some scrub who never plays, I wouldn't bother. Any player who contrubutes on a regular basis, yes

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but since it's illegal for the coaches to release their names, there's really no way to confirm the individual players unless they choose to out themselves so i'd stay away from "with starting WR Joe Speedy and RB Bob Fullback declared ineligible for the season."

Draft saved Draft deleted