1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you live where you want to live?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by STLIrish, Jun 17, 2007.

?

Do you live somewhere you like living?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I've lived in three states -- Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi -- for all but one of my 27-plus years in the newspaper business.

Three different locales in Texas, one in Louisiana and Mississippi that are not that far from one another.

My stop in Louisiana soured me on the South. Big time. I was there six long fucking years. Hated the town.

After I left, I realized it was more about the paper, the boss, the newspaper culture that blew goats. The town was nothing to write home about, mind you, but hey, the place had 1) good seafood; 2) a good track record at killing the mosquitos; and 3) Saturday nights at Tiger Stadium.

('Cept I wasn't allowed anywhere near there, on account of the fact, well, never mind ... I'm not gonna re-live that nightmare.)

My stop in Mississippi has convinced me the South is all right. We've got our rednecks, we've got our gearheads, we've got our totally irrational college football fans ... but there's a lot of good people in this part of the country.

Plus, they kill the mosquitos pretty good here, too. And the Gulf of Mexico is pretty at night. (Trust me, if you wanna swim in it, go at least as far east as Gulf Shores.)

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Yes and no....I love the Northwest, born and raised here and my folks are here, but I've discovered I'm a Southern girl at heart - and things like NASCAR, grits and saying "y'all" all the time don't always go over too well up here. To that effect, my preferred locale would be approx. 2,500 miles east and 1,000 miles south.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No.

I won't be able to answer the question affirmatively until I'm jiggling Scotch in a glass somewhere close to Saint Raphael.

But I had big tears rolling down my cheeks the last time I left the glorious South -- I was deeply moved in a way I'm unable to express -- and I have no intention of going through that again.

4. My wife would be the same way if we ever left her glorious South. So I'm stuck here.

And y'all are stuck with me. ;D 8)

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I live in Southern California so I've got the great weather, beaches and lots of places to go and have a great time.

If I wanted to, I could also be happy in Chicago or Denver as the weather there isn't a problem for me.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

As far as the weather, I'm in a great place now. No snow in the winter and very hot in the summer. Ideally, for the weather, wouldn't we all love to live in San Diego? I know I would.

Still, no chance weather keeps me here more than two years.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Summer hasn't officially begun and it's already too damn hot where I live. I could go for the occasional season.

Draft saved Draft deleted