1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you live where you want to live?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by STLIrish, Jun 17, 2007.

?

Do you live somewhere you like living?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I'm moving in 3 weeks to live where I want to live. The pull was that strong.

2. KG

KG Active Member

Atlanta isn't the best but it certainly isn't the worst place to live. The thing is, I'm not through with trying places out. I'd like try some other areas one day.

I don't miss "home" as much as I miss the country and, of course, my parents. I just got to see them for the first time in more than six months. That much time never used to pass between visits when they'd come here or I'd go there. That does make me miss home.

As for trying something new, I'm up for it.

3. Keystone

Keystone Member

Somebody mentioned about coming back to where you're from, and this is pretty much the case for me. I'm working for a daily in the county next to the one where I grew up, and is 3x the size of my hometown paper.
    My daughter is 6 and is close to my parents, who live about a half-hour away. My extended family is within a two-hour drive.
    It's also close enough to a major city, but the cost of living isn't too bad.
    I'll stay as long as I have a job here.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think I made UT's quote book with this one: I love home, but home is no longer enough.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Would love to live:

1. 45-90 minutes from Kansas City
    2. Colorado Springs
    3. Central Florida

Unfortunately, if you find a map of nowhere and put your finger in the middle, that's where I live now. :-\

Sad thing is, I've lived both 90 minutes from KC and in central Florida /you don't know what you've got until it's gone ...

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's frustrating that there are no major-college sports within shouting distance of this city. But that's the worst thing you can say about it, and that's not bad. The suburbs here are very, very nice; travel is no huge headache; we have some good minor-league sports.

I think in a perfect world, I'd be working in my hometown. But I knew very early on that I wouldn't be able to make a good living as a journalist there.

7. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

In a perfect world, I'd be living in peace. You all, too :)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Wife and I moved to the Midwest three years ago in advance of first child's birth, she's a native of this state and we both went to school here so it wasn't unfamiliar to me.

Previous home was Florida. All our friends down there and up here think we were nuts to leave, but it just never felt like home. Weather couldn't make long-term happiness for us. My stock line today is that I miss playing golf in January, but that's it as far as Florida. And where I live now is a very underrated golf area anyway, so I don't miss the great, great courses I played regularly down there.

Oh yeah, jobs...they were fine down there and they're fine here too, for the most part. It's really all about golf to me :)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And coming from a northern state where I averaged about 40 rounds a year and played to a 14, I have played 10 times in 33 months and haven't touched a club in over a year.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where I want to live. I can think of a handful of places I'd like to try, but there's no clear picture of a place where I can settle down and say, "Yeah, this is the spot for me."

Having moved 13 times in my 26 years on this planet, I guess my natural instinct is to wander.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I had the money, it would be the flatiron, overlooking Boulder; off Arlington Drive in Ann Arbor, near Bo's old house; off Lakeshore Drive in Grosse Pointe Shores; or off this little neighborhood near my old dorm in Kalamazoo, where Cape Cod's abound in maple and oak trees....

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I agree with those sentiments about family 100 percent. I have a sad situation involving family -- my father died 7 years ago, my wife's father died about 14 years ago. Neither of us have a living grandparent. So where we're living now... about 45 minutes from her mom and 75 minutes from my mom is nearly perfect. My brother is two hours away and her sister is an hour away. So we're living where family is close and somewhere where we're happy living.

Draft saved Draft deleted