1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you know the speeds on a phonograph?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Sep 24, 2008.

?

Do you know the speeds on a phonograph? (VOTE BEFORE READING THREAD!)

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    91.4%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Damn, that's so funny to remember. I used to have two pennies scotch-taped to the arm of my turntable.

And, actually, you're older if you remember calling them "record players" instead of turntables.

EDIT: And, hell yes I know the speeds. When I was born my parents owned a record store.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Napoleon Dynamite is not funny. In any speed.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I just figured turn table was the older name for them, because I've always called them record players. You calling me old OT? :)

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Well, a record player was a self-contained unit that had its own amplification and speaker(s). A turntable was a single component that was part of a system.

They don't make them like this any more:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Damn, now I'll be hearing Greg Kihn all day.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Pioneer PL-518.

[​IMG]

Had to be one of the more popular turntables of the day. Mine finally gave out after about 15 years of faithful service, but I do have a replacement and a collection of probably 300 albums. Don't get a ton of play, but always nice to be able to go into the library and dust off a nugget.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Gold

Gold Active Member

I still call them albums even though they are the CD format.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Album = a collection of songs (goes back to the 78RPM days when albums were actually albums -- 5-6 discs with one song on each side in an album folder).

Record = A 12-inch vinyl disc.

Semantically, a CD is an album (a collection of songs).

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

So I'm not old after all. :D

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

When my 13-year-old daughter was five, I was watching a Bogart movie, The Harder They Fall. The movie was in black-and-white, and my daughter asked, "Where is the color?". My eight-year-old asks me if when I was young, the whole world is in black and white.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This has broad culteral implications. I know vastly-intelligent people in their early '30s who won't watch the original Manchurian Candidate because it's in black and white.

Jesus wept.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I have a silly ritual with one of my nieces each time she visits that involves watching a movie which will explain why old people say certain things over and over. She loved Spinal Tap, Holy Grail, Blazing Saddles, etc. Bitched to high heaven about Casablanca because of the b/w issue. Then she goes to college, takes a film course, and now she's happily working her way through the New Wave.

But 30-somethings? Probably too late.

Draft saved Draft deleted