1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you know the speeds on a phonograph?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Sep 24, 2008.

?

Do you know the speeds on a phonograph? (VOTE BEFORE READING THREAD!)

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    91.4%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Most record players had four speeds, yes.

The fourth speed was most often used on Alvin and the Chipmunks records to show how men singing very slowly could produce the music.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Three? I can think of two.

Crap, I'm so old, I can remember putting a penny on the needle to keep it from skipping.

3. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Sub-light speed, light speed, ridiculous speed and ludicrous speed?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The fourth speed sounds like James Earl Jones after a gallon of scotch and a handful of Valium.

Do I get extra credit for actually owning a phonograph? It's buried in storage next to my dad's Smith-Corona manual typewriter. Who can get rid of stuff like that?

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, you get 2 yes votes for that.

(But you lose one for trying to put lipstick on a pig.)

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I know them. Vinyl's making a comeback!

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

how many speeds on a victrola [/spn....]

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but if you played something at that speed, it sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks. That was always good for some fun. That and a lava lamp. And a pet rock. And your Colecovision. And a pair of leg warmers.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Not only do I own one turntable, I own TWO turntables.

I still have albums, still refer to even CDs as albums and I have vinyl in three speeds.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

<<< Fail.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Rosie's got two turntables and a microphone

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

There's 33 1/3, 45, 78 and 16 (IIRC, it's actually 16 2/3, half of 33 1/3).

The 16RPM records were intended to be played on a car audio system that Motorola, and I believe, Philips were trying to put together. Unfortunately, one bump would probably scratch your records to high heaven and the idea failed. The invention of the 8-track (and the cassette) eventually put that notion to bed.

Still, you can find some 1960s-vintage record players with the 16RPM option.

It's almost impossible to find a player made after the 1970s that offers 78RPM. Neither of the turntables I have at home do ... the 1970s-era machine (heck, every machine in the 70s was a changer made by BSR) that just croaked on me did have the 78RPM speed. I don't own any 78s, but my pack-rat grandparents still have a bunch of Nat King Cole "albums" at 78 speed.

I loves me some vinyl. The analog sound of a rich song played on vinyl blows away the digital sound of a CD (and *really* blows away anything in the MP3 domain). Had a college prof play the old 1970s hit "Games People Play" on vinyl in one of my blow-off classes. To demonstrate how good vinyl sounded, he got to the point where the chick sings "nowhere to go ...," and says to the lecture hall, "don't you just want to make love to her right now? You wouldn't be able to get that same sensation on CD."

Draft saved Draft deleted