1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you know of a bank that doesn't ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

... charge you when you are unfortunate enough to deposit an NSF check someone gave you?

I am done with Chase. I am bank shopping. Do they all do this now? I had never heard of it. Before three weeks ago, the last time someone wrote me an NSF check was in 1988. My bank at the time didn't charge me a fee. Now, apparently, they all hit you with a fee, which I think is B.S. It's not my fault. I can see if I write a bad check, but receiving one?

But anyway, is there a bank out there that doesn't do this?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

JD, First suggestion. If it means enough to you, get the bank manager at the branch or call the customer service number and if they won't waive the fee this one time, get a manager. If you are a long-time customer, they may credit you back the fee if you are earnest enough. Secondly, most people don't know this, and it's kind of nuts for the onus to be on you (the returned check fees the banks charge are punitive, in addition to covering their handling fees, and it doesn't make sense for you, the innocent one, to get punished), but when you deposit a check, you have the right to ask the teller to call the other bank and ask if there are sufficient funds to cover the check before they deposit the check in your account. Most people don't realize they can do that -- and even people who do, usually don't want to bother. But it's an option.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Yup.

The bank I bank at. However, it's local to my area.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't a reflection on the stability of your new place of employment.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Find yourself a credit union. You'll be much, much happier.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Every bank I have ever had has always charged a fee like that. Good luck in your search. I agree with Ragu in asking for the fee to be waived.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not that I advocate fees for banks, but I would think one reason the bank charges the fee is to make sure that there isn't some sort of scam going on.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'm also unhappy with Chase, but that might be because I was spoiled by how user-friendly Washington Mutual was.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It is BS, but they most all do it. I second the thought of a credit union.

I always cash the check at the check-writer's bank rather than putting it into my account, except when the check writer's bank charges a fee to cash it's own account holder's check.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Talked to customer service two weeks ago. They wouldn't waive the fee. I went to the branch and asked. Manager wasn't there. Talked for 20 minutes with top person there. Asked for a good explanation why I should be punished and not the company that wrote the check (it's not my new employer, but a paper I freelanced for). Bank person explained how they can't collect from some other business that doesn't bank with them. I said, "Well, I'm not banking with you if you don't waive this fee in a week." He said, "Someone explained it to me a long time ago (why they charge their customers this fee), but I don't remember. It made sense, though."

Told him I wasn't there to debate. I said, "You have a week to get the fee off my account or I'm closing it."

He said he'd have the branch manager call me the next business day. She didn't.

I'm closing the account.

I know they all do it, but ... oh well. When I close it, and they ask why, I'm telling them why. They didn't even bother to call me back? OK.

Gonna check into a credit union. Thanks.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Find a way to get to a credit union.

Draft saved Draft deleted