1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have your original birth certificate?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 9, 2010.

?

Do you still have your original birth certificate?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. No, I don't have any birth certificate

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. No, but I have a subsequently reprinted birth certificate

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more, Inky (et al.). No Obama fan here, but, sheesh, the whole birther thing is a joke!

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I lost mine. I had to buy a new copy from the state of Michigan for like $60. I think I've done that twice. Maybe more.

I lose stuff.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

$60? Mine was $15. Of course, I went to the city clerk's office, not the state.

Did you deal directly with the state?

Did you try going to your city clerk's office and have them mail you one?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just went to the site where I had to buy one.

It was $44.50, plus I had to put a rush on it. I was going to Toronto for the outing and had like a week to get it.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-4645---,00.html

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I should be shocked that you even made the argument in the first place, but somehow I'm not.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I had my original and tried to use it to get a driver's license in a new state a few years ago, and the clerk refused because it was old enough that the raised seal had become worn down.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Maybe you can make a coherent argument that is nuanced. Or you could just check in the diners and whatnot in the midwest to get a feel for how people are thinking. Oh, and I like how you never responded to me about the fact that you're a giant hypocrite for telling a newb that he needs to have thicker skin. That one hit a little too close to home?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Mine is located in the safety deposit box at my bank. I also have two copies of it, in my fireproof, waterproof, file safe that I keep in my closet.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

They say that I was born on the Navajo reservation when my father worked there.

My mom is supposed to have the original Navajo hospital birth certificate somewhere in the literal tons of paperwork she and my dad saved from his medical practice.

For everything in my life, I've used official copies issued by the state of Arizona.

I've always suspected that I was born in Kenya because, although I am very light-skinned, I do like me some rock 'n' roll and barbeque.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

So you still are not going to answer for the fact that you called someone else out for having thin-skin when you have the thinnest skin around?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Had the exact same experience. I had to get a new copy to get a passport a few years ago.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Had a similar experience, except that I lost my "original" copy years ago in a move, then got a new one through the mail, pretty easily, for a passport. That means there might be somebody out there saying they're me. Well, actually, there probably isn't ...

Draft saved Draft deleted