1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have your original birth certificate?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 9, 2010.

?

Do you still have your original birth certificate?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. No, I don't have any birth certificate

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. No, but I have a subsequently reprinted birth certificate

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know this peripherally is a political topic, but I've always been curious.

Baltimore Oriole Luke Scott says that he has his original birth certificate in a folder, and can produce it any time he wants. He doesn't understand how anyone could not.

I don't have my original one. I wouldn't begin to tell you when I - or my parents - lost it. I'm curious about if that is unusual, because a lot of people seem to think it is.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Oddly, my aunt and I were just discussing this. The whole family applied for passports, and her husband was turned down. The feds said his passport was doctored.

Turns out, his mother had falsified it, adding my uncle's father's name herself. She'd been married to another man at birth and subsequently left the "father" name blank. She added it when she gave it to her son.

So he has no originial birth certificate.

I also worked with a woman who applied for a marriage license and had to cough up a birth certificate. She'd didn't have the original and had been adopted. She didn't even know the hospital name to track a copy down.

I think my parents have mine somewhere, but I've always used a certified copy.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I left mine back in the US -- whether it was intentional or by accident is another matter.

Thankfully, my passport does pretty much everything I need.

4. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I still have mine, it's actually in a folder at my parents house.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. In a lock box.

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I'm not from Quebec, and neither are my parents.

Way to troll your own thread.

7. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Just because someone is French Canadian doesn't mean they're from Quebec, LOL.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know you were just kidding around, but his response still made me laugh.

Ilmago, lighten up. People give you shit. It doesn't mean they don't like you. Roll with it. 90% of it is good natured. Most of the folks here are good people. Even the assholes. :)

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's at my parent's house, and I also have one of those little wallet cards stashed among some important papers at my house.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I don't have my original but have a copy. My kids, on the other hand, yes I have their original.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have the original one as well as one with a mistake on it. The one with the mistake makes me 10 years older than I am. It's all official, with a seal and everything.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't have the original, since that one is on file with the state records office. But I do have a copy I ordered 15 years ago to get a passport.

Draft saved Draft deleted