1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You/Have You Dabbled in Any Other Mediums?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mayfly, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I am not asking about pizza or french fries.

Have you tried you hand in any other medium that involves the fine art of writing such as poetry, short story, novel, etc. I have a couple notebooks of poetry and a few short stories I want to turn into longer pieces. What about yourselves?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i like to write songs, and other rhyming-type stuff.

3. I may dabble ...

[​IMG]

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Like so many good journalists, I am a failed writer of creative fiction.

5. I've noticed that the more I write non-fiction the harder it becomes to write fiction. But I definitely have a lot of ideas.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've shitcanned my attempt at the Great American Novel and am toying with the idea of a collection of short pieces...sort of wry narratives...my idea is to be something of a heterosexual, less funny, more socio-politically oriented version of David Sedaris.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well ... I've served in two branches of the military. Does that count?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I myself once dabbled in pacifism. Not in Nam, of course.

9. Songbird

Sedaris is funny. He had a good Atlantic pieces a month or two ago called Gay Husbandry, or something like that.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I made a documentary. Does that count as dabbling in another medium? Or are we really just talking about writing in other genres?

11. Songbird

My brain wouldn't kick-start this morning, so I wrote a song. Crappy, but it was a good exercise to get up and get to work.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I have dabbled in TV, radio, new media, scriptwriting, graphic design, mixed-media collage and witchcraft.

I wrote some amazing, emotional non-journalism stuff in high school, but somehow in college my brain just shut itself off. Guess I didn't need that outlet anymore. Kinda disappointing.

Draft saved Draft deleted