1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have health insurance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 16, 2018.

?

Do you have Health Insurance

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. The Lord will provide

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. My wife was talking to the parents of one of my son's classmates, and she mentioned they don't have health insurance.
    She's a nurse and he's an optometrist (I think) and their oldest son has Aspergers.
    I thought it was crazy. But ... The more I have been thinking about it, I'm not so sure.
    They self-pay, which, the wife said is a looked down upon by doctors, dentists, etc, but it's also a lot cheaper than going the Insurance route.
    And insurance is expensive. When you don't have a large pool to draw from, it is really expensive. We pay $18,000 a year for health insurance with a $1,000 deductible for medical and dental, and No vision coverage (3 of the five us wear glasses and/or contacts).

Probably won't, but considering the option of dropping coverage ...

My questions: How many sj.comers carry health insurance?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ours comes from the workplace so it only costs us around $4,500 a year for a family of six. If we were paying the whole thing ourselves, I’d think about going out of pocket, but I’d always have catastrophic coverage.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Till three months ago, I worked in a company with 260,000 employees, so you'd think my insurance would be pretty good. But in order to keep down costs for the company, the CEO and the operating committee chose a health plan that put a lot of responsibility on the employee to be in good health and take wellness screenings, which is a great idea because it detected certain conditions early. And yet it also demanded that we shop around for the cheapest options. Maybe it's just because I wasn't acclimated to that -- a first world problem, for sure -- but it was a running thing where you'd hear horror stories of people who'd been put over a barrel with medical costs because they'd gone to an out-of-network provider or hadn't understood the intricacies of the plan. I have a full-time job. I shouldn't have to have another side gig figuring out my fucking health insurance. Not in this country, and not for a company with its HQ on Park Avenue.

Now I work for a municipality and I'm in a union. There were no options to explore. If you opt in to the health insurance, you get one plan that covers everything, including dental. I like it.

I got enough shit to worry about in my life, I shouldn't have to worry about medical insurance. I pay $42 every two weeks for myself. My daughter is covered by my ex, and I pay half of that, which is about $1200 a year, I believe. So I'm paying maybe $2K total a year? (Reminds me I have to check; a lot of cash just tied up in alimony, child payments, etc.)

The ex works for a university with a great medical school, so my daughter is able to go to those doctors, which is a nice comfort.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Good luck with that:

Who can buy a Catastrophic plan
    Only the following people are eligible:

If you’re eligible to buy a Catastrophic plan, you’ll see them displayed when you compare plans in the Marketplace.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alrighty then. Guess I’ll always have insurance.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is one of the worst things about Obamacare -- the catastrophic-only option is off the table for most people.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. @CD Boogie

I am looking high and low for a government job with insurance. I can effectively take a $10,000 pay cut if we get good insurance coverage.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I pay about $9,000 a year for us (my wife and I) for godawful insurance. Deductible is $7,500. No vision or dental. I work a second full-time job through a temp service that largely goes to paying for that health insurance.

I thought that was bad until I was offered another newspaper job last year that paid about $5,000 more a year, but insurance there for the two of us would've run us about $14,000 a year.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You might be better off paying the tax penalty and paying as you go for health care.

Hermes likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I've thought about it, but we're doing IVF here soon and I'd be scared to death of something going wrong during the procedure and having to pay out of pocket for surgical complications (despite understanding how routine the procedure has become, anything with an anesthesiologist gives me pause) — or if it's successful complications during childbirth.

It's bad enough to be paying out of pocket for IVF and its insane costs, let along being on the hook if a surgery or childbirth takes a turn for the worst.

I'm hoping I get hired in full-time at my second job for one of the big automakers, which has a really solid insurance plan. I have my fingers crossed. Lots of baby boomers are retiring and opening up spots.

I never really thought about it before I got married. I just paid the $70 every other week and went about my business with sucky but relatively cheap coverage.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have never been without health insurance since I started my career.
    I think I transitioned from stringer to staff at 22 or 23, so that's 25-26 years.
    I'm not in newspapers anymore for almost 10 years, but I've never been without health insurance.
    I wouldn't go without it. The risk is too great.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I work at a university that has a huge medicine school and hospital presence throughout the state, so I've got the best and cheapest insurance I've ever had.

The worst was when I worked at the PGA Tour. Humana was the provider and one would think that considering the company was a tournament sponsor (the then-Humana Challenge in Palm Springs) that Tour employees would be pretty well taken care of. Instead it was a dogsh*t provider with costs out the wazoo. Our second child was walking before we had her birth paid off, and it was a normal birth.

Draft saved Draft deleted