1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have girls in your life?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by gingerbread, Aug 4, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but that's 8-to-15 not 18-to-35....

And 21's advice is sound - and cool...

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Why is it an either-or question? Why can't they be both athletic and girly?

I know plenty of high school athletes who wear makeup while competing (ugh) or ribbons in their hair, stuff like that. They're learning to be strong and confident, part of a team, all the good aspects of athletics... yet they still care how they look -- and maybe even like pink! <gasp>

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You have a good point, paperdoll. I want an athletic girl, who is girly when she's not being athletic. Not always girly, but girly a lot of the time.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be good. But for some reason I've always been drawn toward tomboys.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so i have to request it: somebody, please ask me why i quit playing the piano.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Tom,
    Something has really been bothering me.
    I know it might not be my place, but I just have to ask:
    Why did you quit playing piano?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so nice that you asked wrapper, thanks for the interest.

because, just before i turned 12, i mastered playing the organ.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, laughing out loud is one of my favorite things to do. Thank you, sir.

9. Sorry I'm late to the party, but I thought I might chime in.

I grew up with a single mother who coached my older sister's softball team and for all intent and purposes taught me how to play baseball. Took me to a lot of MLB games when I was little. She remarried, but he didn't know shit about throwing a ball.

I married a woman who could be considered girly but she is a huge college football fan. Has been since she was a wee little thing being raised by a single dad. Not only can she sing every one of her school's songs, she can read defenses, offenses and knows better than me what penalities the refs are signalling before they announce it.

It's nice having a wife who understands football and appreciates my interest in the sport. Even better than that, she roots for her team on Saturdays and I root for mine on Sundays without conflict.

We plan on exposing our daughter to all sorts of different opportunities. Some will be our choice, some will be hers. At 4, she already roots for my wife's team. She has her own cheerleader outfit, but she can also throw and catch a football.

We're not worried about the whole girly/tomboy thing. We want her to see the benefits of both. We signed her up for dance class this past year. She loves being in a tutu and dancing around but next year she wants to do karate, so we'll give it a shot.

As she gets a little older, I'll want her to try some team sports like soccer and tee ball. Every little kid should know the camraderie and responsibility you get from being part of a team.

I think the bottom line is its never too early to start searching for things they want to do and not force on them activities they don't want to do - at least not until they finish what they willingly started.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ahem... I mean Amen. Outstanding post.

11. Thank you, sir.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What was next, the skin flute? [/myinner13yearold]

Draft saved Draft deleted